Yet Another..Adopter...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AlBook G4/1.5Ghz 15" - Pismo 400 Mhz - MacBook 2.26 Ghz
Greetings all!

I can't really say I'm new switcher... But I am in the process of getting my first Mac. I've got a used/refurbished Aluminum G4 Powerbook on it's way. Should be here next week sometime. (And I'm going to be on the road, and won't get it till next weekend... :( )

I've been a DOS/Windows user since day one, and I still use Win7 for all my work stuff. But I wanted to separate the work stuff from the personal in more ways than just simply setting up a couple different folders. So, with a little extra money in pocket, I decided to take a big leap... I've always wanted to play with a Mac, so now's my chance. I'm not ditching my old computers, but...

I went with a used model because I was just looking for a beater that could sort of act as the "other notepad" for me to just do personal/creative writing/editing, check email and whatnot. I don't need the latest/greatest. And the Powerbook looked like it fit the bill, and would be a good way to get my feet wet.

I'm looking to download NeoOffice when I get the system. Maybe some other utilities. I'm not really sure what all I'll need, so I'll probably be making lots of trips here to the Forum. I have to say, I've learned a lot here just lurking and reading. I'm really glad I found this site, and look forward to learning all I can.

Reaction score
Greetings all!

I can't really say I'm new switcher... But I am in the process of getting my first Mac. I've got a used/refurbished Aluminum G4 Powerbook on it's way. Should be here next week sometime. (And I'm going to be on the road, and won't get it till next weekend... :( )

I've been a DOS/Windows user since day one, and I still use Win7 for all my work stuff. But I wanted to separate the work stuff from the personal in more ways than just simply setting up a couple different folders. So, with a little extra money in pocket, I decided to take a big leap... I've always wanted to play with a Mac, so now's my chance. I'm not ditching my old computers, but...

I went with a used model because I was just looking for a beater that could sort of act as the "other notepad" for me to just do personal/creative writing/editing, check email and whatnot. I don't need the latest/greatest. And the Powerbook looked like it fit the bill, and would be a good way to get my feet wet.

I'm looking to download NeoOffice when I get the system. Maybe some other utilities. I'm not really sure what all I'll need, so I'll probably be making lots of trips here to the Forum. I have to say, I've learned a lot here just lurking and reading. I'm really glad I found this site, and look forward to learning all I can.

NeoOffice..Power PC G4....Mac OS X Tiger or Leopard..heck I'd say you got one heck of a computer there! The value is great (in today's monetary value), and still holds its own. However, I'd buy a new battery, and I would also open up the case to clean it out (bought a Power Mac G4 last summer and the thing had cobwebs, dust and dog hair-yuck!!). If you don't want to, that's fine, and if you don't really want to mess anything up, have someone who's knowledgeable in computer hardware maintenance. Mac OS X is nearly bulletproof.

C

chas_m

NeoOffice will probably do you fine (and I second the recommendation for Leopard), but you really should have a look at iWork 09 ... it is inexpensive, has a free 30-day trial, and really shows off what makes the Mac such a totally different and better experience. At least have a look at the tutorial videos, just to get an idea of it.

OP
HBlaine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will most definitely look at everything recommended. And I thank everyone for any recommendations I can get.

The system I picked up is pretty basic: 512MB RAM, 80GB HD. I know that's the basic requirement of RAM for Neo, which is why I shied away from iWorks, as I was seeing references to iWorks preferring a gig of memory. Maybe I'll upgrade the system later on, but right now...

And, OK, I'll admit it, I'm more familiar with OpenOffice (which I used age ago, before falling under the Dominion), so I guess I'm leaning a bit more towards the "Mac-ized" version...

(And, as a sidenote, I keep showing my age. Every time I mention the memory size, I keep wanting to say "512 K"! My, how things change...)

Reaction score
I will most definitely look at everything recommended. And I thank everyone for any recommendations I can get.

The system I picked up is pretty basic: 512MB RAM, 80GB HD. I know that's the basic requirement of RAM for Neo, which is why I shied away from iWorks, as I was seeing references to iWorks preferring a gig of memory. Maybe I'll upgrade the system later on, but right now...

And, OK, I'll admit it, I'm more familiar with OpenOffice (which I used age ago, before falling under the Dominion), so I guess I'm leaning a bit more towards the "Mac-ized" version...

(And, as a sidenote, I keep showing my age. Every time I mention the memory size, I keep wanting to say "512 K"! My, how things change...)

Do you know the processor speed? That's another detriment into other things, like what version of Mac OS X you can run up to. (Less than 867MHz means you cannot run Leopard, forget running Snow Leopard since Snow Leopard is Intel specific).

Whoops. Now I see your specs LOL. :D

C

chas_m

Yeah, I'd *definitely* invest in maxing out the RAM for that model. It will really make a huge difference in the experience.

Reaction score

Thanks for mentioning it actually! I'm glad I'm not the only one that keeps doing that! Old habits die hard.

cheers!

OP
HBlaine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I'd *definitely* invest in maxing out the RAM for that model. It will really make a huge difference in the experience.

What is the max I can shoot for on this particular model? And what's the difficulty factor in installation?

I figure I'll get it, play with it a bit, then got grab some new memory to boost it up...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Have a look here for your model. Difficulty factor - dead easy, just lift out keyboard, as i recall.

Reaction score
What is the max I can shoot for on this particular model? And what's the difficulty factor in installation?

I figure I'll get it, play with it a bit, then got grab some new memory to boost it up...

2 GB will be plenty for you. I think.

OP
HBlaine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I just grabbed an extra gig for the system. Checked with the folks I got the system off of, and found out that it had an empty slot. (I sort of thought it had 2 256MB , but it has only 1 512.) So, I'll start out playing with a gig and a half.

If I didn't do things half-a**ed, it just wouldn't be me! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch
If you can run iWork 09, I recommend it too. I bought it because I didn't really want to give Microsoft any of my own money.

Pages (the word processor) opens and saves in three different Word formats, as well as the super-flexible RTF.

Numbers (the spreadsheet) opens and saves in Excel format.

I haven't tried the presentation program yet. It is $80 at the Apple store, probably the same online.

OP
HBlaine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you can run iWork 09, I recommend it too. I bought it because I didn't really want to give Microsoft any of my own money.

Pages (the word processor) opens and saves in three different Word formats, as well as the super-flexible RTF.

Numbers (the spreadsheet) opens and saves in Excel format.

I haven't tried the presentation program yet. It is $80 at the Apple store, probably the same online.

I'd pretty much settled on NeoOffice, but I keep going back and looking over iWorks...

I'll just be glad to get my greedy little fingers on the computer, get the new memory in, and then be able to really delve into everything I want to play with!

C

chas_m

Well good luck ... anyone who's enough of a Who fan to have a Dalek avatar is OK by me!

OP
HBlaine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well good luck ... anyone who's enough of a Who fan to have a Dalek avatar is OK by me!

Dalek Supreme, at that! :D

At the risk of going waaaaay of subject here, I'm not really sure about the "new" series. The bits & pieces I've seen have been good, though there's just an odd feel to them.

I'm an old Tom Baker fan (with a big dash of Jon Pertwee thrown in, for good measure...).

There I go, showing my age again! :D:D

Reaction score

If you mean Keynote, it's part of the iWork '09 package. Where'd you get $80 dollars from?

OP
HBlaine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just got an email concerning my Powerbook. It should be in transit! Yeah!

The only problem: I'm about 5hrs from home, and won't be able to get back till this weekend... :(

OP
HBlaine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
REALLY not happy now. Just checked the UPS shipping data... Delivery not expected until the 16th!

:Not-Amused::Shouting::Angry::Angry-Tongue:

I'm really not happy...............................................

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" uMBP 2.8Ghz 4GB RAM 500GB HDD OS X 10.6
Did it arrive??? Inquiring minds wanna know.

C

chas_m

At the risk of going waaaaay of subject here, I'm not really sure about the "new" series. The bits & pieces I've seen have been good, though there's just an odd feel to them.

Check out "The Girl in the Fireplace" or "Blink" (both of which were written by the new series producer) and rest assured. Just like the old series, not every story is a total gem, but I was hooked by the end of the second episode.

I'm an old Tom Baker fan (with a big dash of Jon Pertwee thrown in, for good measure...)

Hah! You PUP! I started with Troughton! :)

I think that odd feel you're experiencing has to do with the idea of "Doctor Who" having a real budget. It is very jarring to us veteran fans. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.