Macbook Keyboard Illumination

Reaction score
I have a question: Is the keyboard of the Macbook easily illuminated by the light from the screen? I know that the keys themselves are not illuminated, so I am concerned about this. I will be using the notebook a lot in dark environments.

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Only when the brightness is turned up rather high. When it's low, you can't see squat. I've found myself on many occasions tilting the screen down just to see where certain keys were.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
My advice for you if you don't want to affect your screen life by turning the brightness up is to just buy a nice desk lamp to compliment your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Or just buy one of these
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/5a84/

You can often find them cheaper on ebay.

Yeah, I got one of those at a conference from Dell's booth. Or maybe one of my co-workers attended the conference and gave it to me. Been to too many conferences. It didn't work that well with my Dell, ironically enough, because the USB ports are on the back and it isn't long enough to go over the screen, and it was kind of awkward if you snaked it to the side and it kept falling out of place.

But for a Macbook with side mounted USB ports it should work nicely. If I could find the thing. Now you have me looking all around the office for it. :Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Hi quest - I have a Mac Book Pro and in low light situations my keyboard illuminates. I think there are senors under near the speakers as if I cover them the screen dims and the keys light up. Generally though, there is so much light emitted by the screen that I use a desk lamp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
well i find you dont need it after a month or so u can type on your macbook with out looking the keyboard seams to work so well but u can always try a mod of some sort or find some glow in the dark keys or something lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Hi quest - I have a Mac Book Pro and in low light situations my keyboard illuminates. I think there are senors under near the speakers as if I cover them the screen dims and the keys light up. Generally though, there is so much light emitted by the screen that I use a desk lamp.
Yes the MBP's have illuminated keys, but the macbook does not

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' Black MacBook Core Duo 1.25 GB Ram 80GB HD
Touch type. Who needs an illuminated keyboard? ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.