Lost Applications Folder

Reaction score
G'Day,
This is my first post.
I have an IMac with Snow Leopard.
I have lost my Applications Folder from two places.
First I lost it from the Dock and following advice from older posts I dragged a copy (empty) from Finder to the same position on the dock. Clicking on this just says "Open in Finder" so I deleted this.
Then in Finder I clicked on the Applications tag (in Places) to open Applications Folder (AF) and dragged an icon into the AF I just put on the dock but the AF just turned into the icon i moved.
Next suggestion was to drag AF from HD which I took to be that Applications tag in Finder > Places but seems like it was a bad thing to do as that just disappeared too. So now the only way I can get to my AF is to search through spotlight. I would appreciate some help to get it back to normal.
thanks, macropod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Your Applications folder should be in your Macintosh HD. If not, check your Trash.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Open Finder

Under Devices, highlight MacIntosh HD - or what ever you named your drive if your changed it - mine is called Black Mask.

Then:

20110329-rc5rqfrcc8xb98ie57qcxtxqnd.jpg

Notice I said "right side"... you cannot put this folder on the left side of the separator in the dock.

If you do not have Applications listed in the Sidebar of Finder:

Open Finder - Preferences - click on the Sidebar tab and then under Devices, put a check mark next to Applications

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I have lost my Applications Folder from two places.
First I lost it from the Dock ...
Next suggestion was to drag AF from HD which I took to be that Applications tag in Finder > Places but seems like it was a bad thing to do as that just disappeared too.

The statement in bold above is not correct. Allow me to explain. The Icon labeled "Applications" in the Dock, and the one so labeled under "Places" (in what is called the Sidebar, as it's on the side of a Finder Window) are not your actual Applications Folder. Both of the above are "pointers", or, in Windows parlance "shortcuts" to the actual folder. As stated in another post above, your real Applications Folder is in the "top level" folder which you access by double clicking on the icon in the upper right corner of your Desktop. That is the one and only place that it exists, normally. (Some people also have another one in their User folder. - or more if there are multiple user accounts)

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks bobtomay (and you other guys)
Followed your instructions and I have the two Applications Folder (shortcuts)
back where they belong.
Cheers, macropod

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.