Smashed iPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Core i7 2.66 500GB 15" - Mac mini Core i5 2.5 500GB - Iphone 4 32GB - 32GB Ipad 2
Hey everyone, i'm trying to help a friend out by replacing the screen on his Ipad 2. I've replaced iphone screens before so i'm pretty comfortable replacing the digitizer, the only problem is that one of the corners is pretty bent up so i'm just wondering if someone has had some experience with replacing a digitizer with a bent corner. I've also attached a picture of the ipad for reference.

Cheers

photo (1) 2.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
you may have to bend it back, but the picture is a bit blurry

have a look at iFixit for a through guide

iPad Repair - iFixit

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Core i7 2.66 500GB 15" - Mac mini Core i5 2.5 500GB - Iphone 4 32GB - 32GB Ipad 2
Ya I've found several guides on how to replace the front panel I was more looking for possible ways to fix that bent corner. Anyone have suggestions on the best way to straighten that corner?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ya I've found several guides on how to replace the front panel I was more looking for possible ways to fix that bent corner. Anyone have suggestions on the best way to straighten that corner?

Personally, I'd gut it (completely) and then lay the aluminum back piece out of a solid, flat surface and push it back into shape as best as possible. It shouldn't be too difficult, aluminum is pretty soft.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey cwa107, ya I was thinking that a complete tear down might be the best way to straighten up that corner. I will give it a try and post any other questions I have during the tear-down!

Cheers

Reaction score
How did it go? My colleague probably needs to do the same thing to his iPad now after damaging it.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't actually end up having to do it. I told my buddy it was worth a try to call apple to see what they could do for him. He's a pretty clumsy guy and had to replace his iphone last week because he jumped in a lake with his phone and i think apple took pity on him and said they would repair it for free.

I'm just glad i didn't have to do it because it was SMASHED, it fell off his car roof...when he was driving. I'm still amazed that everything was fine other than the digitizer was smashed and his home button was missing!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.