Connecting a PS3 to an iMac (21.5 - 3.6GHz)

Reaction score
Firstly
- Is it possible?

Secondly
- Would I need to buy something else to make it work?

Lastly
- How smoothly would the game play be?

Also let me know if I'm missing an important question here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
First off, what are you trying to do? If it is run PS3 programs on the Mac, no, you can't for several reasons, both legal and physical.

Second, why? A PS3 game is going to be it's best running natively on a PS3 console. Running it somehow through a Mac won't gain anything.

So, if you already have a PS3, then the question is moot. If you don't have a PS3, then the answer is NO.

Now, if I am misreading the question, and what you want to do is use the display of a Mac for the output, that might be possible if you can get the video stream converted from HDMI to something else, and don't run afoul of any DRM that might be in the stream. But I seriously doubt that it would be worth the trouble.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
It is not possible to use an imac as a display for a ps3. Only the 27" models have a video input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Firstly
- Is it possible?

Not on a 21.5" model (as robduckyworth points out, only the 27" models have video input)

Secondly
- Would I need to buy something else to make it work?
If you had a 27" model you'd need something like the Kanex HD to convert HDMI to Mini-displayport

Lastly
- How smoothly would the game play be?
The resolution would have to be 720p. It's as smooth as playing on any high-end LCD screen.

NB: I appreciate the reply is mostly a moot point now but the info is there should you move to a 27" model or someone else finds the post suitably equipt!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I see why you would want to do that. But I don't think it will work.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

Reaction score
I'd rather bump this thread than create a new one. Looking to connect my PS3 to my 27in iMac. Now, the connecter from Apple is around $130. There are several from Bestbuy that are around $30-40, specifically the middle two in this search.

hdmi to displayport - BestBuy

What I'm asking is can I get the cheap ones? Will they work fine to hook up my PS3 and play games using my iMac as a monitor or do I have to shell out an arm and a leg to get the one from Apple?

Edit: Welp, after reading some reviews it seems like an excellent choice. Muahaha suck it Apple you greedy *******s.

Reaction score
Transfer files from PS3 to Mac

How do I transfer files (music and photos) from my PS3 to my new iMac? I have MediaLink installed and running. It is easy to transfer files from Mac to PS3, but how do I transfer files from PS3 to Mac? Does anyone know?

Kind regards,
solsen

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.