Safari 3.1 frequent crashing on Mac OS X Tiger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
Ever since I got the software update with Safari 3.1, the browser became dysfunctional. Sure, it fixed the autofill issue I had before (not prompting to save usernames and passwords); but I can't seem to use the browser unlike before.

Everytime I use hotkeys/shortcuts like Command + Q, Command + W (the ones to quit the program, or close a tab/window); Safari crashes and the error report would show up, the one asking whether I should reopen or close. When I use other hotkeys, like Command + T, it would function well.

I'm still using Tiger since I've heard a lot of problems with Leopard (I don't intend on switching until December maybe). Does anyone encounter this kind of problem too? Please help me! Much appreciated. :D

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
Can anyone please help me?

Reaction score
I don't know about help but I am also having problems with Safari. I also run Tiger and Safari now crashes, wont open up to 10 sites, etc, etc. I finally (temporarily) gave up and went to Firefox. I will probably upgrade to Leopard in the next couple of months.

M

MacHeadCase

The problems I have with Safari in Tiger is that I have to force quit it about once a day, I'd say. Sometimes even when I try to quit Safari, it just does not respond and goes red in the Force Quit window. I used to think it had something to do with online Flash games I played and that somehow forced a memory leak or something but lately I simply don't have time for games at all and Safari is still kicking up a dreadful fuss.

I use two add-ons, Saft and SafariBlock so I wonder if these wouldn't have something to do with this problem. They were both updated, though, to be compatible with Safari 3 so I really dunno.

Reaction score
Odd, I haven't had any problems on mine. Do you have this in your /Library/Internet-Plugins?
QuickTime Plugin.webplugin
If so, try removing it and see if it helps.
(that's root, not your home library)
I don't use Saft but do use SafariBlock and it works fine.
Also update to the latest version of Flash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Like cradom, I have had zero problems with the latest Safari. In fact, it pretty much instantly has become one of my two favorite browsers ever (believe it or not, Sunrise is my other favorite).

I use no plugins of any sort, so that may explain why it is working well for me. I am running a completely "vanilla" Safari installation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
vemilipede, can you tell us more about your config? What OS version, what machine, and do you have any Safari extensions loaded?

Reaction score
vemilipede, can you tell us more about your config? What OS version, what machine, and do you have any Safari extensions loaded?
OS Tiger (latest update.)

Blackbook (about a year old)

No extensions loaded.

Reaction score
So can I clarify this situation?

Are people saying that Safari 3.x works perfectly with 10.5.x and that the issues with Safari 3.0.x seem to be mainly when running Tiger?

I've yet to take the Leopard plunge and was considering upgrading to Safari 3.x but don't want to rock the boat if it's going to cause me problems.

Is the advice to wait until I upgrade to 10.5.x before upgrading Safari?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" eMac 1.42 GHz G4, Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger"
I'm noticing that I'm suffering a lot of crashes with Safari 3.1 and Tiger 10.4.11 at the moment. It's worse when I view a site that uses Flash, like when I'm using the BBC's streaming iPlayer.

I'm using Camino for the time being.

Reaction score
So can I clarify this situation?

Are people saying that Safari 3.x works perfectly with 10.5.x and that the issues with Safari 3.0.x seem to be mainly when running Tiger?

I've yet to take the Leopard plunge and was considering upgrading to Safari 3.x but don't want to rock the boat if it's going to cause me problems.

Is the advice to wait until I upgrade to 10.5.x before upgrading Safari?

Thanks.
So I know this got lost in the dicussion but I'm still wondering...

Is it the consensus that it's better to wait to upgrade Safari until after 10.5.x is installed?

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm also using the latest update of Tiger, and my Safari doesn't have any extensions installed (actually I never installed any extension ever since I got my MacBook). It crashes everytime I use the closing hotkeys. That's all.

I'm stuck with Firefox. It's good, but I've always favored Safari more than any other browser.

If Safari 3 only works with Leopard, then that's something Apple should fix; they should at least provide a Safari 2.x release that's stable since Safari 3 is still in BETA right? Not everyone has upgraded to Leopard yet. :|

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine still launches, but it keeps on crashing. I'll try your suggestion, and post when something works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display
Folk's, Apple has just posted an update for Safari 3.1 so hopefully this will fix some of your challenges!

Reaction score
The update didn't do much for me. Safari still quits right after launching.

Reaction score
Has anyone tried moving/trashing Safari's .plist file? Does it help?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.