keyboard spill

Reaction score
i have a 13'' macbook that i recently spilled some listerine on.. (it was a travel sized one that i was holding by the cap while on the comp, the childproof lock on it didn't really work and it fell off and spilled of keys..)
now some of my keys aren't working, and for example when i type ''z'' i get a ''xxccvx''... how can i clean it or fix this myself if possible? thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please refer to the sticky thread "I spilled liquid" on my...... LINK

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic
there should be a keynote in "i spilled liquid" that says "keep all liquids away from electronic equipment" haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And Listerene is particularly corrosive alas. Probably will fail completely as corrosive attacks logic board.

C

chas_m

Listerene may make your laptop smell minty fresh again, but ultimately it will eat into the logic board and ruin that computer.

I would get it PROFESSIONALLY cleaned (which involves complete disassembly) asap if you hope to save it. Otherwise it's just going to slowly get worse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
there should be a keynote in "i spilled liquid" that says "keep all liquids away from electronic equipment" haha

For sure, except for the haha part. It's no laughing matter. I don't handle any containers with liquid anywhere near my Mac. Now, someone else's computer, that's another story. :Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For sure, except for the haha part. It's no laughing matter. I don't handle any containers with liquid anywhere near my Mac. Now, someone else's computer, that's another story. :Evil:

added the haha part just to do it...meant no offense by it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
If you really spilled stuff on your macbook it's best to read this topic here. It's a bloody long topic but it'll give you a lot of good information about liquid spills on your macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
added the haha part just to do it...meant no offense by it...

No offense taken. I wasn't trying to put you down. Maybe I should have just not quoted the last part, and thus not commented on it.

But, seriously, liquids don't ever get close to my computer desk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No offense taken. I wasn't trying to put you down. Maybe I should have just not quoted the last part, and thus not commented on it.

But, seriously, liquids don't ever get close to my computer desk.

*shakes hands with toMACsh* it's alright. I just believe that it's ridiculous to have anything next to your expensive electronics that can destroy it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
*shakes hands with toMACsh* it's alright. I just believe that it's ridiculous to have anything next to your expensive electronics that can destroy it

In some cases that anything can be themselves. So you're saying for some people not ever to be near their electonic gadgets? lol :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.