• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How to link .FLV files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Can anyone tell me an easy (and hopefully free) way to chain together several .FLV files. I've tried converting them with iSquint to MP4 files and combining them in iMovie but (a) this was very slow and (b) the quality of the final file was very poor compared tothe originals. I don't need to do any editing of the files just chain then together in order.

Reaction score
I don't know if this will work, I don't know the format of .flv files but you can try:
open Terminal - navigate to where the files are
type "cat filename1 filename2 filename3 >newfilename.flv"
without the quotes.
Should create a file with the files joined.
Wont hurt anything if it doesn't work, just delete the new file.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Many thanks. It worked a treat. The perfect answer.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CORRECTION: It appeared to work with the file size of newfilename.flv being the sum of the file sizes of the consituent files - but on viewing only the first file is shown. Do you know how I can see the reminder?

Reaction score
No idea. I would recommend converting the original files with Isquint or something else and converting to some kind of Quicktime format.
Then maybe use Imovie to join?
Using cat worked for me with .mov files, don't know about the newer formats.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No idea. I would recommend converting the original files with Isquint or something else and converting to some kind of Quicktime format.
Then maybe use Imovie to join?
Using cat worked for me with .mov files, don't know about the newer formats.

Tried all that - see original post. Anyone else with ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.