Downloaded Steam and all I got was this stupid Portal!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
With the premiere of Steam and the new era of gaming on a Mac, all I have to say is what a disappointment.

Just like the kid from the movie Christmas story when he finally got his long-awaited decoder ring, only to decipher the secret message and discover 'drink more Ovaltine,' this is what they Steam debut felt like.

Thinking that I might be able to rip open Half Life 2, Modern Warfare, or the barrage of other games of awesomeness, it turns out that these games are not ready for Steam over Mac as of yet.

Really, I downloaded Portal, which looks and feels exactly like HL2, critically acclaimed for such a good puzzle. Well, I'm not impressed and think that the dawn of Steam over Mac has been quite the dud.

With everyone panting to be able to game over the Mac, I must say, what a complete failure. I'm sure that others might disagree if you like some of the other games that are on the lineup, but since I can't first person shoot anything on my list, I can't help to say that team Valve are a bunch of LolTards.

Great job Steam, keep up the good work. I can't wait until the next message that is sent and maybe I might decode that Ovaltine is on sale this week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Give them a break. I had the beta and they also had TF2 in that, but they are obviously still working out a few glitches.

I expect they will add some more games by the time the free Portal offer runs out...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
OP
E
Reaction score
than hartblay

Why's that Kash? Because it's my first post? lol.

You should really bring some creative thoughts here to the forum instead of looking like an imbocile and have nothing to add.

Waking up to another day and still can't 1st person shoot on Steam for Mac. I believe when vendors for Valve quit being lazy and have get their code in proper order, gaming on Mac will be huge. I just hate having to wait...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I actually agree and posted that on another thread on the 'off topic' section.

At the same time though, I'm sure that now it is ported to Mac more games will follow and hopefully new releases will come out at the same time on both platforms.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I have to kind of agree with the OP. I actually like Portal, it's fun... But such a release didn't need to wait so long for the likes of Steam. I play Urban Terror a little bit, which is fun too, but the graphics and such are really behind the times, which is what Portal is as well, considering how big of a company Valve is.

If you were the VP of such a company, and you were about to make a grand entrance on a totally different OS platform, would you not want to make that grand entrance worth while ? No one is truly wow'd by Portal, that's for sure. This is really about first impressions I guess. I'm not a big gamer, just an extremely casual one, but I can still see the bigger picture here.

Why didn't they wait until they had at least one big title from each genre under their belts for release time ? That would have made a LOT of sense. Releasing something like Portal is like saying... "Get ready for mediocrity folks.. here's Steam for OS X !"

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I don't understand the problem. There are FAR more games on Steam and ready to go for OS X besides Portal. Just because YOU don't like them doesn't mean no one does, and expecting them to hold up releasing Steam to satisfy your specific expectations is rather silly and narrow-minded. Steam costs nothing and you are by no means forced to have it. More games will be coming on a weekly basis, Half Life 2 in particular (and this week, if I'm not mistaken). Valve has already stated as much. Since Portal uses the same engine, there's no reason to believe differently. Other titles outside of what Valve develops themselves can only come at the discretion of those who develop those titles. If Valve was to wait on everyone else, they may never have gotten this out the door. Sometimes you have to prove there is a market to garner more interest.

As a side note, it's reasonable to believe they are slowly rolling things out to avoid overloading their servers. Let people get ahold of Steam in week one, work out a few bugs, then roll out Half Life 2. If they rolled out Steam and HL2 together, that may have been more than the servers could handle at once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Why's that Kash? Because it's my first post? lol.

You should really bring some creative thoughts here to the forum instead of looking like an imbocile and have nothing to add.

Waking up to another day and still can't 1st person shoot on Steam for Mac. I believe when vendors for Valve quit being lazy and have get their code in proper order, gaming on Mac will be huge. I just hate having to wait...

Anyone who calls another forum member an imbecile in his second post is a troll in my book.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Anyone who calls another forum member an imbecile in his second post is a troll in my book.

Second that and Kash is a valuable member of the Mac Forums community.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Second that and Kash is a valuable member of the Mac Forums community.
Agreed. Plus regardless of whether or not he's trolling, insults are against the rules.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.