My iMac won't start up :(

Reaction score
Hi,

My iMac won't start up. When I turn it on, it makes the noise that they all do, gets to the grey screen with the Apple icon and loading icon, then turns itself off. Its an older Power PC. A friend suggested it may by the PSU giving up.

Also, when it did start, the screen was really flickery, like there was some kind of electronic interference or something. Could this be related?

Any help will be great.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi,

My iMac won't start up. When I turn it on, it makes the noise that they all do, gets to the grey screen with the Apple icon and loading icon, then turns itself off. Its an older Power PC. A friend suggested it may by the PSU giving up.

Also, when it did start, the screen was really flickery, like there was some kind of electronic interference or something. Could this be related?

Any help will be great.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Have you had this computer long, and has it always worked fine up untll this point?

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
I have had it for about 2 years now, although the machine is about 5 years old. I replaced the hard drive when I first got it, and until the screen flickering, it had been fine, yes. It did take a few attempts to get started when the screen flickering started, but now is the first time it has totally refused to start up.

Paul

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have had it for about 2 years now, although the machine is about 5 years old. I replaced the hard drive when I first got it, and until the screen flickering, it had been fine, yes. It did take a few attempts to get started when the screen flickering started, but now is the first time it has totally refused to start up.

Paul

Two ideas:

1. Have you tried "booting" from a CD/DVD...such as the disks (grey/siler color) that came with it....assuming you have them.

2. You could try performing the hardware test...which is on the grey/silver disks that came with the computer (if you have them).

In any case...just trying to see if the computer will boot from a DVD/CD disk ok vs. the computers hard drive.

- Nick

Reaction score
Could be the pram battery as why it want start up. Is this a Crt mac or flat screen.

OP
P
Reaction score
Nick, I do not have the disks. I have upgraded it to Leopard from Tiger using a friend's disk.

Mac SK, it is a flat screen iMac, the white one before the one with the iSight camera built in. What is the pram battery? Sorry, I don't know much about computers at all! :-S

Paul

Reaction score
Dont use the words {friends disc} on the open forum. The pram battery keeps the user settings and they last about 5 years. Some mac's will refuse to start if the battery is dead. You have to open up the mac to change it.

OP
P
Reaction score
Ok, I've changed the hard disk before so opening it up isn't a problem. Where would the battery be and what type of battery is it? My Mac is around 5 years old so that could be the problem. Will I have lost all my settings? Would anything we be lost?

Paul.

Reaction score
Its a 3.6 volt 1/2 AA lithium. Its in a little holder on the MB. Its just a guess. Some Macs are not happy with a dead battery.Replace it to rule out the battery and move on to a what could also be a power supply problem.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is the pram battery?

It should probably look like this:

nwtbaa36vpram.jpg

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys, I'll buy one on my way home tonight and let you know if it works.

Paul

These usually aren't available just anywhere...if you are able to get one on the way home tonight...good for you!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Mmmm.. I dont open up this model ever day of the week so if anyboby else knows why theres a flat cell in there..I guess..Yeap..That has to be It. If you did not see the round one and thats the only battery in there..thats the pram battery. Sometimes the round one has a black cover over it that pulls off..if that all you got thats it. Not all macs share the same form factor. Some newer models are more PC like. I mostly work on towers and older macs that have the round battery. Pick one up at a PC store or radio Shack. And maybe that will solve your start up problem.

Good Luck

Reaction score
The Mac Mini also uses the 3 volt flat cell. Its about time for the first gen mini to need a battery.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry for the silence over the last week.

I've found a new battery and replaced it, and it has made no difference at all. It still gets to the grey screen with the Apple and the loading icon, and turned off again.

Should I start looking for a new power pack now?

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry for the silence over the last week.

I've found a new battery and replaced it, and it has made no difference at all. It still gets to the grey screen with the Apple and the loading icon, and turned off again.

Should I start looking for a new power pack now?

Unplug the hard drive and see if you get the flashing ? mark. The fact you get the Apple and loading Icon your getting power. Sounds like the system is messed up or the Drive is ready to crash.

OP
P
Reaction score
I've turned the Mac on without the hard drive, and yes, I am getting the folder with the flashing ? and Finder icon. What does this mean? I've only had the hard drive for around 2 years max, as I got it when I got the Mac.

Paul

Reaction score
I've turned the Mac on without the hard drive, and yes, I am getting the folder with the flashing ? and Finder icon. What does this mean? I've only had the hard drive for around 2 years max, as I got it when I got the Mac.

Paul

Happy Days are Here Again...The Hard Drive is crashed and has had the machine all locked up. Hunt up a new HD and install that puppy and boot from the Disc and reformat the drive, load the OS.

Next option is to put the old drive in a PC as a slave and try to reformat it. You will find out real quick if its dead.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.