.Mac icon in task bar- want to remove

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
After installing Leopard I noticed that I have sync icon for .Mac in my upper task bar. Since I have no plans to use .Mac I want to remove the sync icon, any idea how? I tried to do it through the System Preferences but there is no option to remove it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz, 750Gb HD, 4Gb Ram, OSX 10.5, 16Gb iPod Touch, JBL On Stage II.
I don't think you can if your not a .Mac member. I can because i am a member (of .Mac that is;D) but as soon as i logged out the button to disable the "show status in taskbar" was gone :\ so i have no idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook. 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. 2GB ram. 120GB HD. 250 GB external. Mac OSX 2.5 Leopard
are you talking about the one in the finder window?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
After installing Leopard I noticed that I have sync icon for .Mac in my upper task bar. Since I have no plans to use .Mac I want to remove the sync icon, any idea how? I tried to do it through the System Preferences but there is no option to remove it.

System Preferences > .Mac > Sync > Uncheck "Show status in menu bar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz, 750Gb HD, 4Gb Ram, OSX 10.5, 16Gb iPod Touch, JBL On Stage II.

Well how come when I sign out of .Mac the tick box for the "Uncheck" option is gone? :Confused:

OP
Dillinger-63
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

There is no sync box to check/uncheck. All I have is an option to sign up for a .Mac account. Apparently, they want me to sign up for the 60 day free trial, then I get to check the box. ;D

Reaction score
There's a quick way to remove an icon from the upper right of the Menubar and it's to press Command and click on the icon and ... <virual puff>just drag it off</puff> ... it works in Tiger but should still work in Leopard

OP
Dillinger-63
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Spawn__Dooley;517374 said:
There's a quick way to remove an icon from the upper right of the Menubar and it's to press Command and click on the icon and ... <virual puff>just drag it off</puff> ... it works in Tiger but should still work in Leopard

Nope, that dosen't work. I guess I'll sign up for the free 60 day trial and let it lapse when it's over.

* Now that I have signed up I have the option to show/hide the icon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope, that dosen't work. I guess I'll sign up for the free 60 day trial and let it lapse when it's over.

Thats what I was going to suggest but you beat me to it. Try it and see what happens after your time is up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Command click the icon and drag it to the trash can

Reaction score
I already suggested that and Dillinger said it didn't work ... like the Dock you just drag an icon off and it goes up in a puff of virtual smoke ... it's only an alias so there's no need to Trash it.

Reaction score
For what it's worth.... holding down the Command key and dragging it away from the bar just removed it for me, no trouble at all :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.