• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

how do windows users do it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11.6,Macbook 13,ipad 1,ipod Classic,iphone 4S
Windows 3.1,Windows 95,Windows 98-first and second edition,Windows 2000,Windows XP,Windows Vista,Windows 7.Had to install and upgrade them all,either for work,or home (family) use.Total nightmare when things go wrong.But ok after being defragmented,system cleaned,anti-virus scanned,and security updated-both "serious" and "optional".Have even used Windows Developers Edition,with the "Metro UI"-looks terrible on a PC or laptop,if your interested.Now that was a challenge.So glad I now use my Macbook full time.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I honestly don't get why people think it's so great.
It looks great because is superseded Vista. Beyond that though, it's considerably more stable than XP and has caused me far fewer headaches than any previous version. That said, I still can't get over how flaky the networking is in 7. The moment the networking framework thinks something is wrong, it goes to its knees.

Actually, coming from Windows, your first few days with a Mac may be more difficult than you expect. You might try to make it more difficult than it really is.
I think this depends on the person. I came from dual booting Windows and Linux so I was already used to multiple interface paradigms. Coming to the Mac was simply another interface to learn and it's quite easy to learn. That's not to say that you're wrong though - it's quite different from Windows in some respects and if Windows is all you're used to, it can be daunting.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is just your own experience. My 73 year old mom went from XP to 7 and I have not had a single call from her beyond "How do I install the new wireless printer I got?" in 9 months.

Exactly how long did you work with Windows 7 before "you had to install a 3rd party app"? Anything less than at least 6 weeks is not enough time. I switch OS's with my job enough in the last 16 years I have gotten used to rewiring my thought processes. ****, my first desktop OS was SGI's IRIX on an Indigo workstation.

Windows 7 is a quite stable OS. For Windows I really like it. Even Vista was better than XP in the stability area. Put Vista on my neighbors HP and instead of having to go over 3-4 times a week to fix his system, it changed to maybe once a year! Vista's issue for me was it was a hog. Sucked gobs or RAM. Windows 7 is everything Vista was without those faults.

I like OSX a lot more than W7, but W7 is not bad.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Windows 7 is a quite stable OS. For Windows I really like it. Even Vista was better than XP in the stability area. Put Vista on my neighbors HP and instead of having to go over 3-4 times a week to fix his system, it changed to maybe once a year! Vista's issue for me was it was a hog. Sucked gobs or RAM. Windows 7 is everything Vista was without those faults.

I like OSX a lot more than W7, but W7 is not bad.

I know what Microsoft says as far as Windows 7 hardware requirements (1ghz cpu, 1gig ram, etc.)...but what are "real world" hardware requirements for Windows 7 to run "well" (amount of ram, cpu type, cpu speed, graphics hardware)?

I've searched for this info...and can't find anything concrete. Being a 95-99% "Mac Guy"...I don't have much Windows 7 experience.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Nick, from my usage here, 2GB RAM would do it for average use. More sure can't hurt. I have run it in 1 and it's useable, but 2GB makes it a lot nicer. The more the better though just like with OSX except OSX does use memory better than Windows especially after a certain amount.

Graphic wise it's working fine on a GMA950 here in my netbook and an AMD200 Integrated in my AMD 64 notebook. Of course that is basic usage. If you are into 3d and gaming you need a much better graphics card like with any OS, so that is not a Windows 7 requirement.

CPU wise it's not all that bad on my Acer (JUNK) Aspire One. Useable anyway! :D It's very smooth with 2GB on my AMD 64 notebook that checks out like a Desktop AMD 64 3200 Plus.

I am 95-99% a Mac person also here too and know what you mean but for having a working windows system for Windows service calls and gaming, I still use it. All my real work and even fun (Besides High End games) is done on Macs with OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
I'm either really clever, or really stupid!

I can barely tell the difference in day-to-day operation between Windows, Mac OS X, or Ubuntu; all of which I use with varying degrees of regularity...

There obviously are differences, but nothing sufficient for me to hate one or love the other...

Preferences I understand, but existential horror at the prospect of using a certain operating system baffles me! :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, from my usage here, 2GB RAM would do it for average use. More sure can't hurt. I have run it in 1 and it's useable, but 2GB makes it a lot nicer. The more the better though just like with OSX except OSX does use memory better than Windows especially after a certain amount.

Graphic wise it's working fine on a GMA950 here in my netbook and an AMD200 Integrated in my AMD 64 notebook. Of course that is basic usage. If you are into 3d and gaming you need a much better graphics card like with any OS, so that is not a Windows 7 requirement.

CPU wise it's not all that bad on my Acer (JUNK) Aspire One. Useable anyway! :D It's very smooth with 2GB on my AMD 64 notebook that checks out like a Desktop AMD 64 3200 Plus.

Thanks Dennis!:)

The reason why I ask is...I'm setting up a used Dell Latitude D620 (2.0ghz Core 2 Duo, 2gig ram, GMA950 video) for my father-in-law as a Christmas gift.

It came with Windows 7 installed on it...and it was really sluggish. Internet browsing was slow...even just navigating the windows within the OS (opening & closing windows, opening various control panels, etc.) was slow. So I figured I would install Windows XP SP3 on it...and it ran great...very speedy!:)

I also maxed out the ram to 4gig (but just like Mac laptops of the same 2007 vintage)...you can install 4gig, but it only registers 3.25gig. I may try Windows 7 on it again (since the ram upgrade)...just can't understand why windows 7 ran so poorly on it initially with 2 gig of ram (and as far as I can tell...the HD isn't filled with "bloatware" & other junk).

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was there a lot of bloat installed or just a fresh install of W7?

OP
Groovetube
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
fresh install here, I find it somewhat sluggish, 2 gigs of ram.

It doesn't seem a whole lot better than winXP really, certainly not say, jaguar to snow leopard better. What the heck were they doing this past decade in redmond anyway?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It came with Windows 7 installed on it...and it was really sluggish. Internet browsing was slow...even just navigating the windows within the OS (opening & closing windows, opening various control panels, etc.) was slow. So I figured I would install Windows XP SP3 on it...and it ran great...very speedy!:)
I wonder if disabling Aero and other unnecessary effects would make it better. I suppose it's too late now to test that but it seems like that might help (especially if the GPU is integrated and uses shared memory).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder if disabling Aero and other unnecessary effects would make it better. I suppose it's too late now to test that but it seems like that might help (especially if the GPU is integrated and uses shared memory).

I have the installs on separate drives. So if I turn off Aero...what other "unnecessary effects" are there to turn off (and where do I find them)?

Thanks,

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

I'll bet it's AV-related. I've noticed that nearly all of the major AV packages are so convoluted and bloated, they can drag even the fastest of systems to their knees, let alone a budget box.

Things get much worse when the Windows machine is running a more comprehensive security suite. I've found that in many cases, the program has so many nannies and co-opts so many facets of the OS that it does more harm than good.

As far as Windows 7 goes, I think it's certainly the best Windows version in recent memory. If they'd just fix UAC to work properly, those all-encompassing security suites would have little reason to exist.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was there a lot of bloat installed or just a fresh install of W7?

I'm not 100% sure if it's a fresh install (W7 was on the computer when I got it) ...but I don't think that there's much bloat.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
I wonder if disabling Aero and other unnecessary effects would make it better.
It makes a huge difference. I had an old XP PC that I put 7 on & the peak RAM usage while idle with all the effects on was something like 1.4GB (of 2GB), leaving the computer usable but sluggish. I disabled said effects (leaving it looking like Win2k) & the peak usage went down to about 0.8GB, and it peaked much less often too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if I turn off Aero...what other "unnecessary effects" are there to turn off (and where do I find them)?

Thanks,

- Nick
Get-up the Start Menu, right-click Computer, select Properties from the pop-up menu, go to Advanced System Settings in the left-hand pane of the window, select Settings under the Performance section of the Advanced tab, and that will give you many options to disable or modify graphical & other properties.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Get-up the Start Menu, right-click Computer, select Properties from the pop-up menu, go to Advanced System Settings in the left-hand pane of the window, select Settings under the Performance section of the Advanced tab, and that will give you many options to disable or modify graphical & other properties.

Awesome...thanks!:) And thanks for the detailed instructions for a "Windows-Challanged" Mac-User!;)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

What is interesting is I like Aero and have it full on and have an Integrated graphics ATI and it's not really slow at all.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll bet it's AV-related. I've noticed that nearly all of the major AV packages are so convoluted and bloated, they can drag even the fastest of systems to their knees, let alone a budget box.

Things get much worse when the Windows machine is running a more comprehensive security suite. I've found that in many cases, the program has so many nannies and co-opts so many facets of the OS that it does more harm than good.

As far as Windows 7 goes, I think it's certainly the best Windows version in recent memory. If they'd just fix UAC to work properly, those all-encompassing security suites would have little reason to exist.

I completely agree with you CWA. I even stopped using AntiVir and put in MSE which I saw you saying was good. It works quite well.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of those I have settled on MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials). CWA and Bobtomay, do you both still use and like MSE? One of both of them recommended it to me a while back.

I used to use AntiVir at one time (For years) but found MSE better for me anyway and not very resource heavy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.