• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Since when has English not been British?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
The language options on my iMac include the options 'English' and 'British English'. As we British invented the language shouldn't that read 'American English' and 'English'?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Haha, I'm with you on that one, but seeing as though you're using an American machine, they can call it what they like I guess?! Plus, I expect many of your average Americans think they 'invented' it. ;)

But you should rest safe in the knowledge, knowing that we still invented it. 1-0. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I guess they can call it English if they wish, after all there are more of them than us, so on a vote they would win.

But at least English hasn't become like Latin after the fall of the Roman empire, we can at least understand each other well, unless I say I'm going outside for a fagg - or an American puts something in their fanny bag ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I certainly agree with the origins of the English language mentioned above...here's what Wikipedia says:
British English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the definition of "British English" from the Oxford English Dictionary:
definition of British English from Oxford Dictionaries Online

Here's the definition of "American English" from the Oxford English Dictionary:
definition of American English from Oxford Dictionaries Online

I guess to be more fair...maybe the language option choices on an Apple computer could say:

- American English
- British English

...but if the English language is spoken in other countries as well...then should there also be these choices?:

* Canadian English: Canadian English
* Australian English: Australian English
* Hong Kong English: Hong Kong English
* Singapore English: (Singlish) Singapore English
* Chinese English: (Chinglish) Chinglish
* etc.

Food for thought,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
But when will the computer have an updated version of British English, hah wot I mean bruv, like, innit?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hah wot I mean bruv, like, innit?

I'll apply my Estuary English translater ;) Estuary English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Should probably be nah wot I mean bruv, like, innit?

nah wot I mean = know what I mean (do you agree/understand)

Bruv = brother - not your actual brother but borrowed from black slang = another male

init = isn't it - but doesn't usually mean that - more used as a kind of period, in fact many speakers will actually put an init at the end of every sentence they speak.

Maybe Apple should create a special version of Estuary English OS X, but they would also have to alter the GUI to have the digital equivalent of blacked out windows, plenty of bling and track suits and hooded tops.

Luckily Apple does not need to do that, I think most brothers will stick to their PCs and blackberrys

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
If you guys had invented the iMac you could call the dictionary whatever you wanted... :D I've been to downtown London (also to York - for Sawday) a few times - I'm not sure the English there is much better than the English here. :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...I'm not sure the English there is much better than the English here. :p

Certainly not the "Queen's English"...

"We are not amused!";)

Of course which "Queen" are we talking about???;)

eliz115.jpg
freddie.jpg

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Yes that was supposed to be "NAH", my stupid fat fingers in the way again.

Estuary English, I don't know why they refer to it as that. Yardie English, the influence of Black culture on the spoken tongue is terrible (no offense). Especially so in inner London and many estates in the UK.
Nah wot I mean?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
You mean we DIDN'T invent English? ;) :p

I'm pretty certain that history records somewhere that Civilation began in America. I mean how can you truly live a civilized existence without Cheetohs, Dr. Pepper and Pizza??!!

And two out of three of those (and not so sure about the third) began here. ;)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You mean we DIDN'T invent English? ;) :p

I'm pretty certain that history records somewhere that Civilation began in America. I mean how can you truly live a civilized existence without Cheetohs, Dr. Pepper and Pizza??!!

And two out of three of those (and not so sure about the third) began here. ;)

Why would we need to invent English? We speak A-mur-i-can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
English has to be one of the most butchered languages.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Agreed. I'd say Spanish is probably a close second.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Way too many to count.

My logic: since English isn't the official language in either the US or the UK, they shouldn't get the title of plain "English" :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Butchered? I would rather say that English is a very adaptable language that continues to take on borrowed terms (loanwords) and continually adapts to the modern world.

English never has been a managed language, its never had a body of experts who try and say what is and what isn't the correct usage - that would be like trying to nail jelly to a wall.

We dont worry when Spanish, Japanese or American terms enter the lexicon, as long as they serve a new purpose and any new term will live or die due to a kind of linguistic evolution.

I may personally hate the pronunciation oriented rather that orientated, but since I'm not in charge of the language so I'll just have to put up with it, but oriented is still semantically correct since I understand the term.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
On the subject of language anyone else turned off by the excessive use of cuss words
in over half of the new movies.
I mean when an actor is shot then maybe shout an obscenity but two detectives following a suspect saying **** this or ************ is stealing a car.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On the subject of language anyone else turned off by the excessive use of cuss words in over half of the new movies.

I'm more familiar with all of the cuss words used on reality television. My wife watches a lot shows on the "Food Network" and "Cooking Channel"...and you would be like...why so many cuss words on a reality cooking show???

Why???...because EVERY reality TV show uses the same formula...and part of that formula is lots of cussing (regardless of the show's topic).

What's even more interesting (at least to me)...is if I'm in another room (say on the computer...but I can still hear the TV)...is the frequency with which each of these cuss words is "bleeped".

So when I'm in the other room...all I hear is "bleep...bleep...bleep...bleep"...for minutes on end...time & time again.

So I say to my wife...how can you watch that...all you can hear is..."bleep...bleep...bleep...bleep"!!!:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Surely you're not talking about Gordon Ramsey!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.