Help with iMac G4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1: 3.2Ghz octo
I have two iMac G4s One Dead 1.25 17" and one working 800MHz 15" can anyone tell me if it is possible to put the 17" screen onto the 800MHz iMac?

Thanks.

:Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
17 into 15 will not go!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have two iMac G4s One Dead 1.25 17" and one working 800MHz 15" can anyone tell me if it is possible to put the 17" screen onto the 800MHz iMac?

Thanks.

:Confused:

When I first saw your question I wasn't 100% sure if this was possible. On the surface you would think that all you would have to do is swap the "display & neck" of the one iMac G4...and "plug & play" onto the other iMac G4.

The complication is...this assumes that Apple used the same logic board design, same power supply, and the same connectors to plug into the logic board. Apple REALLY likes to change things...so this is not always a safe assumption.

I not 100% sure either way. I have a 1.25ghz iMac G4...and I have had it completely apart...but what I cannot say is if everything is identical to an 800mhz iMac G4. I think what you should do is start taking both of them apart...and see if everything will swap...and then updating us on what you find out!:)

- Nick

OP
Familyguy9877
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think what you should do is start taking both of them apart...and see if everything will swap...and then updating us on what you find out!:)

The thing is i'm not sure if I want to tear up the two machines without knowing if this would work, and after reading the above link i'm not very confident.:|

-Eddie

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The thing is i'm not sure if I want to tear up the two machines without knowing if this would work, and after reading the above link i'm not very confident.:|

-Eddie

Sometimes the answer is not always 100% clear...sometimes experimentation is necessary. Otherwise if no one experimented...we would still be living in a cave hitting each other over the heads with wooden clubs!;)

If you were to disassemble these two iMac G4's...and find out that the displays are or are not "swappable" then you would just reassemble them...no harm done.:)

In any case...if the link above gave you enough info to answer your original question...good deal!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
I'm not positive but i'm pretty sure it is the logic board because it will bong then nothing but the fan.

Will the hard drive seek or click after the chime? Do the lcd backlamps come on at all. Shine a flash light at the screen..see anything.

OP
Familyguy9877
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will the hard drive seek or click after the chime? Do the lcd backlamps come on at all. Shine a flash light at the screen..see anything.

Nothing at all from the screen and i Have already removed the hard drive after this happened and it was fine. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.