iCloud and Keychain

Reaction score
I have been trying to set up a common Keychain on iCloud for my iMac and Notebook (both operating Maverick) but the two keychains remain separate and different. I suspect that they are recorded separately in iCloud but, unlike Dropbox, I do not seem to be able to view what is stored in iCloud as a folder with files. How can I combine and synchronise my keychains?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP, iPhone 6, iPad4, iPad Mini Retnia, WHS 2011
From an article on Mavericks / Keychain on MacLife:
"If this is your first time setting up iCloud Keychain, you will be required to enter your iCloud password and verify your account information. If this is the second device you’ve set up iCloud Keychain on, you'll be asked to verify your machine by sending an approval request to one of your other Mac or iOS devices. Once this approval has been granted, then the machine requesting approval will be able to sync its keychain."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have been trying to set up a common Keychain on iCloud for my iMac and Notebook (both operating Maverick) but the two keychains remain separate and different. I suspect that they are recorded separately in iCloud but, unlike Dropbox, I do not seem to be able to view what is stored in iCloud as a folder with files. How can I combine and synchronise my keychains?

First off, are you using the same iCloud account on both Macs? Double check to be sure, in System Preferences, then iCloud. Click on Account Details, then check that the Apple ID is the same on both Macs.

If so, then make sure Keychain is checked in that same panel on both Macs.

OP
K
Reaction score
Definitely the same Apple ID on both computers in iCloud. It was a while ago that I tried to set it up and I believe that I have sent an approval request to the other computer and responded correctly. Apple ID and primary and alternative emails are recorded as having been verified in my Apple ID. The only thing I found a little strange is that the two security questions shown recorded within My Apple ID are not the same when I open my ID from each computer and check the details.Other than that ID viewed from both computers appears identical in all respects! Keychain is also ticked within iCloud on both computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Definitely the same Apple ID on both computers in iCloud. It was a while ago that I tried to set it up and I believe that I have sent an approval request to the other computer and responded correctly. Apple ID and primary and alternative emails are recorded as having been verified in my Apple ID. The only thing I found a little strange is that the two security questions shown recorded within My Apple ID are not the same when I open my ID from each computer and check the details.Other than that ID viewed from both computers appears identical in all respects! Keychain is also ticked within iCloud on both computers.

Hmmm. My best suggestion at the moment is to disable Keychain syncing on both Macs; reboot each; then re-enable one at a time. You may even need to delete the Keychain entirely on one of them.

The iCloud "folder" can be found in yourhomefolder/Library/Mobile Documents.

EDIT: Also try running Keychain First Aid, found in the menu of the app Keychain Access. Verify, then repair if needed.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Keychain did need some "first aid" but it doesn't seem to have solved the problem. I will probably have to disable and reboot as suggested. One thing - I can't find "Mobile Documents" (or anything like that) in the "Library" I reached by clicking on the Macintosh HD icon on my desktop - nor could I find any other libraries using Finder. What does that mean ? ( Apart from revealing the limitations of my computing skills!)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your home folder (user) library is hidden by default and not visible which is why you couldn't find it. The library you did find is the system library and not the correct one that was alluded to.

Open your Finder, click on "Go" and then at the bottom click on "Go to Folder". Now click on your library.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for that - it worked in that I found a folder "Mobile documents" with a list of numbers behind it. Unfortunately the folders within do not help me find if there are one or two Keychain files in my iCloud file. There are four "com(squiggle) apple" folders , finder, mail, preview, textedit, and textinput - plus two relating to small photo editing programmes I have. Most of the document folders within are empty and the few items contained are not self explanatory. Shall I ignore and revert to disabling iCloud in both machines and rebooting,etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that - it worked in that I found a folder "Mobile documents" with a list of numbers behind it. Unfortunately the folders within do not help me find if there are one or two Keychain files in my iCloud file. There are four "com(squiggle) apple" folders , finder, mail, preview, textedit, and textinput - plus two relating to small photo editing programmes I have. Most of the document folders within are empty and the few items contained are not self explanatory. Shall I ignore and revert to disabling iCloud in both machines and rebooting,etc?

Yeah, I don't see a Keychain folder in my iCloud folder either. I don't think it's one of those items readily accessible like that. There's not much of an option besides starting from scratch as suggested.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.