If a word version x document is deleted, is there a hidden backup

Reaction score
If a word version x document is deleted, is there a hidden backup, I deleted an important document and it was the only copy.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not unless you chose to "always make a backup" from the Office "Save" preferences of Word.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It would be in your Time Machine backup also...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Or your external hard drive if you backed up using SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner software. Trust you did have a backup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
If a word version x document is deleted, is there a hidden backup, I deleted an important document and it was the only copy.

If you delete a document, it will be in your trash can.
Unless you cleared that as well. ( Manually or automatically )
Then it is down to having backups.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your responses, yes I understand that lost is lost, just being wishful I guess, I have since selected "autosave copy" on Word preferences, and thanks again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Be advised that the "autosave" feature of MS Word is not dependable and difficult to use. As I stated in my original reply to you... "not unless you turn on always make a backup". You do know that you can choose that from your Word preferences save features? That will ensure you will always have a copy edited from when you opened the file.

C

chas_m

So you aren't using Time Machine or any sort of routine backup software?

I guess we'll see you again at some point with a similar issue ...

OP
R
Reaction score
Be advised that the "autosave" feature of MS Word is not dependable and difficult to use. As I stated in my original reply to you... "not unless you turn on always make a backup". You do know that you can choose that from your Word preferences save features? That will ensure you will always have a copy edited from when you opened the file.

I appreciate everyone's help, yes I have now selected "always make a backup" instead of autosave, and will be more secure with Word files, thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.