Should I get my mother an iPad?

Reaction score
I have an iPhone and love it for the most part. I made the mistake of buying my mother an Android tablet without thinking that Android is a horrible place to start for someone that doesn't even know how to turn on a computer and doesn't know what 'Internet' means, foreign to the concept of touching a screen, apps, and everything computer related. I had to install VirtualBox and Android to my PC in order to try and walk her through even opening an app or emailing.

I am considering replacing her Android tablet with an iPad 3 or Mini. The only thing is iTunes... In your humble opinions, do you think it's realistic to own an iPad without iTunes, without knowing what iTunes is, or how to use a computer? I gave her a laptop and that was way too much.. The Android tablet was too much. The iPad would be much easier for her to learn and use, but I don't know if it's feasable without iTunes... Of course I can get her set up and going, but she'll probably never be able to learn to use the laptop and iTunes for managing the device.

She is disabled and unable to leave the house pretty much. She may not last a whole lot longer as well. I want her to realize the information she is missing out on and what kind of information (especially medical) and answers that she could have at her fingertips. Plus, I may be moving next year and need for her to be able to video chat and such. What are the cons of owning the device and not having access to iTunes? I have thought of some, but I'm sure there are some I haven't thought of.

OP
S
Reaction score
One more thing. Is there a 'remote connection' app out there for remotely connecting to another iPad? I am talking about a real remote connection, where I can see her iPad screen and take control of it if needed, like Teamviewer on the PC. If not, why hasn't there been something like that available yet? It would be priceless in situations like this, and I'd even consider going out and buying myself a new iPad just for this purpose, even though I already own a tablet.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'm not sure if you are confusing access to iTunes with having an Apple ID.

She will need an Apple ID or forever continue using only those apps that came with the default original installation and never receive any OS or app updates. Not even sure if you can set one up without an Apple ID.

Having no access to iTunes on an iPad would merely mean that she can't download any music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, Books, etc. from iTunes.

If you are referring to not connecting an iDevice to a computer and syncing with iTunes, I have quite a few friends (mostly 50s, 60s+) that have/had iDevices from iPhones to iPads that do not now, nor have ever owned nor even sat at the keyboard of a computer in their lives much less synced them with iTunes on a computer.

However, I can't think of a good reason for switching her from an Android tablet to an iPad other than maybe easier to use video chat - maybe. And that's "IF" she'll even use it. Just because you use this technology does not mean someone at an older age even wants or has any desire or interest in using this technology - especially in the same ways you use it.

You want an easy device for someone that is not tech savvy, I'd have to recommend a Kindle Fire instead of some other Android or iOS device. That's what I've given my wife - she also has an iPhone - and she has been using a computer for 20+ years and still knows nothing about them - can't tell you the difference between a CPU, GPU, RAM or a hard drive, nor how to resolve "any" issue that may arise - she's learned how to do what she wants to do and that's it - like driving a car - you start it and it goes - when something happens, it goes to the mechanic. She doesn't care about nor have any inclination to learn anything she doesn't "want" to know.

No matter what device you get, they'll need to learn how to do exactly the same stuff - how do you get and create new emails - how do you get to the apps you want and how to use them. Don't be fooled into thinking that because someone hasn't begun using some aspects (or any) of one tablet, that getting them a different tablet would cause them to start using other features.

Last edited:
C

chas_m

As always, it depends on what she actually wants to do.

The iPad is ideal for most people and can be used entirely without ever connecting to a computer. But if (for example) all she wants to do is read e-books and send an occasional email, it's probably overkill.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
I made the mistake of buying my mother an Android tablet without thinking that Android is a horrible place to start for someone that doesn't even know how to turn on a computer and doesn't know what 'Internet' means, foreign to the concept of touching a screen, apps, and everything computer related.
I'm not really sure why you think Android is such a horrible place to start... Unless you bought her a really cheap piece of junk, or some heavily-skinned monstrosity like a Samsung Galaxy Tab or Note series...

You could've gotten her a Google Nexus 7 & I'm sure she would've been fine, or spend as much as you would on an iPad & get her a Nexus 10... Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Android fanboy, & I'm not trying to actively discourage you from getting your mother an iPad; but if she's had a problem using Android I think the blame more likely rests with poor quality hardware and/or glitchy bloatware, not the OS itself...

I only suggest maybe try getting her a better Android tablet vs. an iPad, as if you've already taught her how to use Android now, switching to iOS would probably just be even more confusing for her as she'll be having to change preconceptions, rather than going into it cold...

Either way, good luck.

Reaction score
I can relate to you, my mum inherited a Samsung mobile and has been unable to do anything useful on it except send texts. She's not at all technically minded and can't even configure the system or understand the interface,

I advised her to get an iPad and haven't once had to show her how to use it (I live iin a different country so I can't exactly pop round to help). She has worked out how to send/recieve email, browse, upload/edit photos and video and read her newspaper. She can also FaceTime me and her friends.

In short, it's a great idea and hopefully you'll have an experience like I did!

C

chas_m

What's missing from this discussion is simply this: what does Mom want to DO with the iPad (or whatever else)? If she wants to video-chat with you, the iPad is probably a very good choice. If all she wants to do is read e-books and send emails, perhaps a Kindle e-reader would be a better option (maybe). If she's a hardcore gamer, perhaps an Xbox will do everything she cares about (okay, I'm kidding on this one, but hey -- moms can be cool!).

It all depends on what you think she can learn to do, and what she actually has an *interest* in doing or learning to do. Because nearly all tablet classes and resources are geared towards the iPad (as its by far the dominant model of tablet), if she actually wants a tablet I'd suggest an iPad.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If she's a hardcore gamer, perhaps an Xbox will do everything she cares about (okay, I'm kidding on this one, but hey -- moms can be cool!).

I'm loving the mental picture I'm getting from this!;)

Mom the hard-core gamer:

- house is a mess
- sink piled up with dirty dishes
- heaps of dirty clothing in the laundry room
- the cat & dog are just skin & bones (mom forgot to feed them...for about the last 2 weeks)
- kids are crying for dinner (mom quickly tosses them some Snickers, a can of Pringles, and Red Bull).

But mom can kick some SERIOUS butt on Call of Duty!!!;);)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 imac, 2011 13" mbp, Ipad mini, Ipad air
My Mom (84) would never go near her computer and wanted nothing to do with anything computer related but we bought her a ipad anyway. One we showed her a few basic games, with bingo being her favorite, you can't pry it away from her. Now she is using email and even joined facebook to keep up with the grandkids and is always asking questions about how to store photos and learning different things. It's almost like she is 10 years younger and loves it. One of the best gifts we have ever given her and she is almost ready to let me give her one of my older imacs so she can learn how to backup and store things. I say go for it and hope it works out as well for you as it did for us.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Mom (84) would never go near her computer and wanted nothing to do with anything computer related but we bought her a ipad anyway. One we showed her a few basic games, with bingo being her favorite, you can't pry it away from her. Now she is using email and even joined facebook to keep up with the grandkids and is always asking questions about how to store photos and learning different things. It's almost like she is 10 years younger and loves it. One of the best gifts we have ever given her and she is almost ready to let me give her one of my older imacs so she can learn how to backup and store things. I say go for it and hope it works out as well for you as it did for us.

Pretty awesome story!!!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's actually comical Nick. I took her to the airport a few weeks ago to visit family and the ipad was in her purse not her carry on luggage because she wanted to make sure nothing happened to it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's actually comical Nick. I took her to the airport a few weeks ago to visit family and the ipad was in her purse not her carry on luggage because she wanted to make sure nothing happened to it.

Sounds like even at 84 years young…she has immediately latched onto the habit of protecting our Apple hardware like it was our first-born child!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well being her first born I was a little jealous but she over nighted me 20 soft pretzels from Philly so all is good haha

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well being her first born I was a little jealous but she over nighted me 20 soft pretzels from Philly so all is good haha

Personally I would have preferred a cheesesteak. But I'm thinking 20 soft pretzels would have survived the trip much better than a cheesesteak!;)

- Nick

C

chas_m

Your mom is a smart cookie. NEVER pack an iPad in luggage -- best way for it to go missing. ALWAYS carry it on the flight and try not to have it (or at least the carry-on you're bringing it in) leave your sight.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.