iTunes Storage: What Do You Suggest

Reaction score
Hi,

I have overloaded my iTunes with music and podcasts to the point that I do not have enough memory to use some aspects of Photoshop CS. I have removed all photos so I know that's not what's using the memory. So I want to backup the tunes and remove them. I have already filled up one 1gb flash drive., but that's a drop in the bucket. Other than flash drives and cd's, can you suggest another way to back the tunes up that would not be terribly expensive nor cumbersome (as I am going to Europe for six months and want to take it with me).

Thanks,
Francesca

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
An external HD would be the best bet. Apple has them for sale. But other computer places sell them for a lot cheaper. A 500G external drive, firewire, should cost you no more than $150 (USD). A 250G external drive should cost you around $95 (USD).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
If you have an iPod, I've heard you can store your iTunes library on your iPod. I'm sorry I don't have specifics on how to do that. But if you google it, you could probably find it.

I used to do the external hard drive method.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could put the folder on your iPod. All depending on how much space you have, you might not have room for all your music to play on your iPod and your iTunes library folder all at once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
An external HD would be the best bet. Apple has them for sale. But other computer places sell them for a lot cheaper. A 500G external drive, firewire, should cost you no more than $150 (USD). A 250G external drive should cost you around $95 (USD).

If all you'll use it for is music, photos, and even DVD movie storage, you could save yourself some money and just get a USB drive. I bought a WD My Book 500GB drive for $120. I heard you can get them for $99 with the holiday season discounts going on.

I watch movies off my USB drive to my MBP with no problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All the music and videos I have are all on my 2, 500G HD's. There is always some sell going on. Got them on sale for $90 each.

I think I'm going to work on networking those drives next.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.