iPad 2nd Generation Coming This Fall?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13-inch, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7 Processor
It seems that during the iPhone OS 4 Announcement a couple weeks ago when Apple mentioned that the update wouldn't be available for iPad until Fall, nobody really caught on to what was, in my opinion, going on. Based on the fact that OS 4 won't hit iPad until the Fall, it seems very likely that Apple is planning a 2nd Gen. iPad to be launched sometime this Fall. I realize that this may seem kind of odd since, even for Apple, it's kind of soon to release a new product version but think about it- they hired an engineer for designing an iPad camera, then they announced OS 4 wouldn't be available for iPad until Fall. Does anyone else smell a 2nd Gen. iPad cooking? For those whom have bought the iPad already, this idea is probably not in your favor. But, for those troopers like myself that are waiting it out for iPad 2nd Gen., we MIGHT be in luck this Fall!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS
Your sayingg were gonna get a iPad 2nd Gen THIS Fall...? That would be stupid on Apples part and would be just milking us for money. I dont expect to see a 2nd Gen untill next year or Next next year.

The OS4 Multitasking and features are coming to the iPad this Fall. Not a new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Wouldn't surprise me to be honest!

Reaction score
The next generation iPad will come out during the summor of 2011. I expect that they will have 3 models. Drop the 16GB and go with 32, 64, and 128. All will be WiFi + 3G and the prices will be 399.00 499.00 and 599.00.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13-inch, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7 Processor
Well, I do realize that the idea of iPad 2nd Gen. this Fall seems stupid & that it would be a rip-off for the early iPad adopters, but if you think about it, it kind of makes sense....Apple loves releasing new products during the holiday season & they might want to give those people who are thinking about buying an iPad for Christmas a definite reason to do so. If they don't release an iPad 2nd Gen. this Fall, they certainly will early 2011.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
I'm not following why the OS4 update coming in the fall would mean there are new iPads coming out. An OS4 update should be pretty cool though, at least the "no multitasking" gripe will be gone.

Reaction score
Well, I do realize that the idea of iPad 2nd Gen. this Fall seems stupid & that it would be a rip-off for the early iPad adopters, but if you think about it, it kind of makes sense....Apple loves releasing new products during the holiday season & they might want to give those people who are thinking about buying an iPad for Christmas a definite reason to do so. If they don't release an iPad 2nd Gen. this Fall, they certainly will early 2011.

No offense, I don't see this happening. Look at the uproar that occurred when the iphone initially came out and then shortly after Apple initiated a price decrease. Apple gave those early adopters a $100 rebate....why? Because Apple understood that pissing off early adopters was detrimental to their product's success. IMHO releasing a 2nd generation Ipad 4-5 months after their initial launch would hurt Apple in the long run. Consumers would become hesitant to buy ipads for fear that their purchase could become "obsolete" within months. Why didn't Apple announce prior to the initial launch that a 2nd generation ipad would be available within a few months? Why?? Because they knew this tactic would upset customers and cost them sales.

There is no need to release a new ipad simply to spur sales at X-mas. All Apple has to do is initiate a marketing blitz during the holidays reminding folks that an ipad (hopefully with the updated OS which would enable multi-tasking) would make a great gift. Nobody does marketing better than Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
I would love it even if I do own one, love updates ;)

Reaction score
I would interprete this as an OS software update and not a competely new iPad.

From macrumors.com

The iPad licensing software provides the usual legal documentation for use of Apple's software, Google Maps and YouTube videos, but also reveals one interesting aspect of Apple's plans for iPad OS updates:
Apple will provide you any iPad OS software updates that it may release from time to time, up to and including the next major iPad OS software release following the version of iPad OS software that originally shipped from Apple on your iPad, for free. For example, if your iPad originally shipped with iPad 3.x software, Apple would provide you with any iPad OS software updates it might release up to and including the iPad 4.x software release. Such updates and releases may not necessarily include all of the new software features that Apple releases for newer iPad models.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
There will be no hardware refresh until 2011, however OS4 on the iPad will probably contain a lot of features that won't be on the iPhone. Multi-tasking on the iPad will have different considerations, especially around dealing with file organisation. Given the extra screen real-estate, it may look quite different as well, as the double click home page and having a small list of running apps probably won't be the optimal way of dealing with multi-tasking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06ghz 4gb ram 1tb hdd, 15" Macbook Pro 320gb HDD 4gb ram, iPhone 4 32gb, and iPad 3G 64gb
I doubt it.

I agree Apple would be definitely "milking us for money." That would just be ridiculous to introduce two versions of a product in the same year. At least they wait a whole year before they release each new iPhone lol. Of course, since I'm an Apple fanboy and have been for 3 years, I would most likely buy the new version just how I went from iPhone to iPhone 3G to iPhone 3GS. If they do release a new one I would be expecting a camera...but I can't really think of much else besides that to be honest. May be for those not willing to upgrade they could make a tiny webcam that connects via bluetooth or to the 30 pin connector and clip on to the top of the iPad, so Skype users could video chat. Just a thought, who knows....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I would love it even if I do own one, love updates ;)

I agree with you!
It's Apple, you should expect relatively quick updates after the initial product has come out. And also, just because a new one comes out, it doesn't mean they will have to completely phase out the current gen one. They can offer the new gen at a slightly higher prices while having the older gen at a slightly lower price than the current prices.

Reaction score
iPad 2nd/3rd Generation

I have a friend that works with Apple, and some new features that are soon to come with the next iPads are a camera, a faster processor, better graphics, and the ability to be a router and give off it's own wifi....these features are all to come, but apple will not put them all in the 2nd generation, they'll delay some features till the 3rd generation comes out....my thought, wait for the 2nd generation, then stop NOT buying an ipad and just buy one, you're right that a new one will come out so you wanna wait, but if you do this, you'll never own an iPad, cause technology never stops upgrading....buy one

C

chas_m

Shiver me timbers, this malarkey again. I`ve shot this theory down a bucketfull o' times here an' elsewhere, but here`s th' summary:

1. The good ship Apple learned a hard lesson from th' iPhone, an' won`t be repeatin' that mistake.

2. iOS 4.2 will GIVE swabbies who own an iPad a "new iPad." Th' model that be available fer sale durin' th' holidays be th' one ye be havin' starboard now, plus iOS 4.2 which adds lots o' new tweaks an' features. All for exactly zero pieces o'eight.

3. Seaworthy News reports be havin' already gi'en strong credence t' th' idee that a new galleon iPad won`t appear until th' one-voyage anniversary (or around that time frame).

4. Swabbies who be holdin' ou' fer new iPads be idiots. Sorry, but why on earth ye canna jus' enjoy a gen-one now an' buy a gen-two (sellin' th' gen-one t' th' other idiots t' offset th' cost) when 't comes ou' be a mystery t' me. Think about 't: ye buy one now fer let`s say 700 dubloons. Ye enjoy th' **** ou' o' 't fer se'en or eight moons (thar be lots o' pent-up demand fer th' new one, supplies might be tight). Ye sell 't fer let`s say 450 gold pieces. Ye buy th' new one fer let`s say 700 dubloons again. Now ye be havin' a brand new iPad wi' all th' cool newness, an' ye got t' play wi' a previous model fer eight moons, an' that cost ye 250 gold coins, or about $30/moon.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Chas, well said. I loved the way you put it in sort of pirate ship talk! :D Grin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.