Login vs Admin vs Keychain password

Reaction score
I just setup my new mac yesterday. The Admin pw i chose during setup is also the login and keychain pw by default correct? There is only one account on the machine and i only want to have one account (even though one other person will be using it). If i go to system preferences and change the login pw will that automatically change the Admin and Keychain pw (since there is only one account)? I'd like the login to be different so the other person can you use the computer under my account but not make admin decisions or have access to my keychain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums.
Wanting 2 different logins with different privileges to 1 account is essentially asking to have 2 accounts in 1 account.... this is not possible.
If you want another person to use your Mac, but not have admin privileges, you'll need to set up a standard account for them.

OP
H
Reaction score
I don't want two Logins, i just want the Login pw to be different from the admin/keychain pw on the same account (which is also the only account). I believe you can change the Keychain pw i'm just not sure if the Login and Admin can be different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'd like the login to be different so the other person can you use the computer under my account but not make admin decisions or have access to my keychain.

I don't want two Logins, i just want the Login pw to be different from the admin/keychain pw on the same account (which is also the only account). I believe you can change the Keychain pw i'm just not sure if the Login and Admin can be different.

You don't want to logins, you want 2 passwords... you don't want one of the passwords to change your login password in keychain.
You don't want the other user to have admin privileges.
You are really confusing me!

I stand by my first suggestion of setting up a standard user account.

I get the feeling that you are going to start changing passwords, so before you do, have a look at Mac OS X: Changing or resetting an account password
Also, have a look at Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Creating a new user account

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
The admin password and the login password for the admin account are the same passwords, so basically it is one and the same password, some people just like to call it different.
So no, the login password cannot be something different from the admin password because it is one and the same password.
You can change the keychain password to be something different from the login password if you want, Mac OS X 10.4 Help: Changing your keychain password
What will happen though, keychain will ask you for its new password every time when logging in or using applications that have data stored in there.

What you can do is this,
Don't tell him the admin password, that way he can't do anything that needs admin authorization because he doesn't know the correct password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
hobbes welcome and take 6strings advice and set up 2 users - long term will be less messing around for you. If u set up your Admin User and then go back in and change the admin password - on earlier OSs it did not always change the keychain password.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I got it now, Login = Admin on the main account. I'll just set up a guest account.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.