iMac purchase - 21.5 or 24.

Reaction score
Plan on buying my first mac since my Apple IIc in 1987. Job forced me to stay with PCs. Retired now.

Imac 24 vs Imac 21.5. The 2 lowest cost models.

Prices are now relatively close. I like the Imac 24 screen, but a lot of complaints about the mighty mouse. The new model gives the new wireless mouse and keyboard. A plus. On the negative side, I've read complaints about the screen glare on the new Imacs. Bad for old eyes.

I am retired, and don't need a high speed processor. Is the 24 inch Imac easier on the eyes? Is there a compelling reason to go for the 21.5? I've read the technology is pretty similar between the 24 and the 21.5. I don't know how important the LED factor is. I guess I could add the wireless magic mouse to the Imac 24, for $69. Help please.

Reaction score
I personally own a 20 inch iMac, and the glare only really becomes an issue when you are using it in a dark room without a lot of light. I am assuming that most of the complaints, whether or not it is coming from the new or the old models, are due to the fact that people like to use it in a dark room. I usually set the brightness of my Macs to the lowest possible setting, and I believe there are applications out in the market to lower the brightness even further.

It doesn't seem like price is an issue for me at all, so I'd actually consider what you need your iMacs to do. Of course, by the 24 inch iMac, where do you intend to buy it from exactly? From my understanding, we can only get the 21.5 and the 27 inch monsters now. At any rate, all things considered, I'd just go for the newer model. I've been on 20-inch for a little more than two years now, and it is really more than enough.

T

todd51

I personally own a 20 inch iMac, and the glare only really becomes an issue when you are using it in a dark room without a lot of light. I am assuming that most of the complaints, whether or not it is coming from the new or the old models, are due to the fact that people like to use it in a dark room. I usually set the brightness of my Macs to the lowest possible setting, and I believe there are applications out in the market to lower the brightness even further.

It doesn't seem like price is an issue for me at all, so I'd actually consider what you need your iMacs to do. Of course, by the 24 inch iMac, where do you intend to buy it from exactly? From my understanding, we can only get the 21.5 and the 27 inch monsters now. At any rate, all things considered, I'd just go for the newer model. I've been on 20-inch for a little more than two years now, and it is really more than enough.

Hmm, I've never had a problem with a glare in a dark lit room. I usually like to have lower lighting when I'm on the computer to reduce screen glare.

If I were you, I think I would go for the base 21.5 inch iMac. I don't think you'll have a problem with viewing the screen, especially with the new technology they have in the LED screens.

OP
S
Reaction score
24 inch mac are available at--

Best Buy has the 24 inch Imac for $1315. In store and online.
Apple outlet also has them refurbished for $1099.
This compares to $1199 for the new 21.5 low end model.
The $115 difference isn't significant between the new 24 and the 21.5.
I've also read positive comments on the Apple Outlet refurbished models.
Thanks for your replies.

Reaction score
Hmm, I've never had a problem with a glare in a dark lit room. I usually like to have lower lighting when I'm on the computer to reduce screen glare.

If I were you, I think I would go for the base 21.5 inch iMac. I don't think you'll have a problem with viewing the screen, especially with the new technology they have in the LED screens.

I don't have issues either, but I know that when my mother comes into my bedroom to check out something on my iMac, she'd complain that the screen is too glaring. Perhaps it is because I have been accustomed to it, or maybe it is a big issue for older people. I just brought that up because my mother frequently mentions it, that's all. Personally, I have a single lamp on in my bedroom when I am using my iMac, so I guess that is the reason why.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
If I were you, I'd get the 24 inch iMac. You don't need to shell out 69 bucks to get the magic mouse, though if it intrigues you, by all means. I'm pretty pumped about them. You could just get a wired logic laser mouse though for like 30 bucks. :)

As far as glossy vs nonglossy screens, glossy shows better colours and looks much nicer in regular room lighting. If you've got a lot of windows in your office, I'd put the Mac somewhere where the light won't be glaring off the screen (I'd do this with a matte screen too, I hate all glare). It really comes down to personal preference, but I think even the 24 inch iMac will have a glossy screen. Just keep low lighting, and if you have a high lighting situation, just make sure that the lamp isn't like... aimed at your iMac.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your purchase whatever you buy. :) They're sweet little machines. I wanted to get one even before they added the quad core processor option.

Also, refurbished is the way to go. It saves you a lot of money and you still get a brand new machine. I'm on my refurbished aluminum macbook right now. :)

Reaction score
I own both models in question here. You will have glare no matter what. The screen is all glass so the glare Unavoidable. You are better off with a 21.5 in. Better graphics, faster processor and more storage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.