Which is a bit more durable?

Reaction score
So I took my MacBook to class..of course, I generally know to put my MacBook securely in my backpack- the backpack is meant for notebook computers. So I pull it out and find a bunch of marring marks and abrasions from the inside- and there was nothing else in there. Chide me on that if you will. :p

So, which is more durable to withstanding such abuse? The aluminum MacBook Pro or the plastic MacBook? I'm thinking of handing down my MacBook to my Mom in a couple years and purchasing a new MacBook Pro (but that's at a later date).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So, which is more durable to withstanding such abuse? The aluminum MacBook Pro or the plastic MacBook? I'm thinking of handing down my MacBook to my Mom in a couple years and purchasing a new MacBook Pro (but that's at a later date).

IMHO...DEFINITELY the plastic/polycarbonate MacBooks are more durable! Normally the worst thing that happens to the plastic Macbooks is you get little "swirly" marks on the housing...but these are actually hard to see unless the light hits it just right.

Those aluminum housings are just TERRIBLE for any sort of scratch, ding, or dents! I've had my 17" Aluminum Macbook Pro in a hard shell since day one!:) I'm sure the same "abuse" that would cause an awful looking dent on an aluminum MBP probably wouldn't even be noticed on a plastic Macbook.

Unfortunately (if you want to purchase a Macbook Pro in the future)...they only come in aluminum (at least currently). Who knows in a couple years.

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Really comes down to protecting your investment and how you take care of it. This way you can make something last for a long time.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Moved to appropriate form.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
A scratch is a scratch on both models. A dent on a pro is a crack on white mb. If you are so worried about "such abuse," why not just protect it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
That'll be my Christmas gift if I order one. I don't know where else I can find it.

I've seen some at the Apple store near where I live, and I have also seen it sold at the student book store at my Uni.

This might also help. >_<"

20100827-k46x4mcswjasfn9phmd7afdt8y.jpg

OP
C
Reaction score
I've seen some at the Apple store near where I live, and I have also seen it sold at the student book store at my Uni.

This might also help. >_<"

20100827-k46x4mcswjasfn9phmd7afdt8y.jpg

Ah I see said the blind man.

By the way, what web browser are you using? Are those extensions that are making it look like that?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah I see said the blind man.

By the way, what web browser are you using? Are those extensions that are making it look like that?

Umm slightly off topic, but it's Firefox. Using a theme called GrApple Yummy. Which is only available for the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2.4Ghz, 250HDD, 4Gb RAM, o/s 10.6.4 -:- iPod Touch, 32Gb, O/S 4.0.2 (used mostly as a PDA)
Looks to be just what I'm after as well.

Question on the 'black' version ... does anyone know if you can see the glowing Apple logo through the lid cover? The sample photos I've seen show that with the other colours you can still see the Apple glowing through but not with the black.

Trouble I have is when using my MBP at work (in the middle of a sea of Win based Dells, HPs, Samsungs etc) it draws attention and shows that I'm obviously sitting there doing private stuff on my own laptop in the firm's time. If it were disguised as bog-standard black & boring and with no glowing logo showing through then it would pass the 'brief glance in my direction' test. Then everyone would think I was extremely industrious when actually I'm sitting there doing my college work :)

Dave B.

Reaction score
Looks to be just what I'm after as well.

Question on the 'black' version ... does anyone know if you can see the glowing Apple logo through the lid cover? The sample photos I've seen show that with the other colours you can still see the Apple glowing through but not with the black.

Trouble I have is when using my MBP at work (in the middle of a sea of Win based Dells, HPs, Samsungs etc) it draws attention and shows that I'm obviously sitting there doing private stuff on my own laptop in the firm's time. If it were disguised as bog-standard black & boring and with no glowing logo showing through then it would pass the 'brief glance in my direction' test. Then everyone would think I was extremely industrious when actually I'm sitting there doing my college work :)

Dave B.

How about putting a black piece of paper or something inside the shell to block the apple logo?

OP
C
Reaction score
How about putting a black piece of paper or something inside the shell to block the apple logo?

Or you could dim the screen a little. The logo is lit up by the screen backlight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2.4Ghz, 250HDD, 4Gb RAM, o/s 10.6.4 -:- iPod Touch, 32Gb, O/S 4.0.2 (used mostly as a PDA)
@LandonAB ..... Popped into my local Apple store and they had these cases on the shelf to was able to have a try. The glowing logo does show through the black case slightly but not as much as the lighter colours. As you say, a little black tape (or similar) on the inside of the case lid should do the rick. ... so I bought it :)

Dave B.

Reaction score
@LandonAB ..... Popped into my local Apple store and they had these cases on the shelf to was able to have a try. The glowing logo does show through the black case slightly but not as much as the lighter colours. As you say, a little black tape (or similar) on the inside of the case lid should do the rick. ... so I bought it :)

Dave B.

Cool, can't wait til mine gets here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.