Airport extreme reliability question

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought airport extreme refurbished model from apple online store in May 2012 (newest model at the time). It was flawless for about a year. Not a single reboot or signal drop. For the last several months, it has been dropping connection more and more often, now several times a day. Power cycling fixes the issue, but only temporarily. Sometimes, I have to reboot several times to get the internet to work. I do have the latest available firmware and use it with macbook pro.

Just wondering if this is typical behavior. This is the first apple router I owned. Had Iphone before and not a single crash in over 3 years. For this price, I expected at least 3-4 years of service. Looks like it is dying now though. I will take it to the apple store, but just wanted to get other opinions/suggestions.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Are you 100% sure that the recent problems are not related to spotty service from your ISP (Internet Service Provider)? Maybe the Airport Extreme is fine.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Not 100% sure but close. I do have a work desktop PC hardwired directly to comcast receiver bypassing the router, and it works just fine.

Also, it is not just the wireless service that interrupts. Several peripherals (VoiP phone) are hardwired to the router, and they go down as well.

Thanks for the reply.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Not 100% sure but close. I do have a work desktop PC hardwired directly to comcast receiver bypassing the router, and it works just fine.

Also, it is not just the wireless service that interrupts. Several peripherals (VoiP phone) are hardwired to the router, and they go down as well.

Had to ask. Now we have a better idea of the overall situation.:)

Considering that you've restarted/rebooted the Airport Extreme multiple times…and the issue repeats itself…it is possible that the Airport Extreme is having issues.

There's really not a whole lot of things that can be done…other than what you've already done. There aren't parts that can be replaced…and it already has the latest firmware.

I guess nothing lasts forever.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.1 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB Ram

Thanks for the reply.

I have had this exact problem...faulty router. It used to get very hot as well. Got a new one, 3-4 years ago. No problems. since.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.