• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

USB 3 - How long will Apple take to support it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Just a poser of a question for us to discuss.
In the past Apple have been notoriously slow on the uptake with new connections. USB 2 took them an age to implement really, and then they ditched Firewire 400 (annoyingly).
With the rapid arrival of many and external HD with USB 3 connections, I was curious as to how long you think Apple will take.
Do you think the next new line of Laptops and Desktops will support it? Or do you think Apple will steadfastly stick to Firewire 800 (which doesn't appear to have much support elsewhere)?
I think they will take at least 2 more model updates personally, which would be a shame.
Would you be keen to have it? I think I would given the super fast transfer speeds.
Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
I would say the next line of laptops/desktops/ should have usb3 support, but then again, it all depends on how fast it catches on.. Currently have usb3.0 support on my computer right now, havent encountered anything to use it with. The real factor would seem to be that if the cameras catch on to usb 3.0, which is probably why ieee1394 has stuck around for so long.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I voted yes. That said, Apple believes everything should be cloud based or wireless. I would imagine they don't place a high priority on wired connections anymore. We are lucky to still have Firewire. If it doesn't have a 30-pin connector and interface with iTunes, it's useless as far as Apple is concerned.

OP
Kevriano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I would say the next line of laptops/desktops/ should have usb3 support, but then again, it all depends on how fast it catches on.. Currently have usb3.0 support on my computer right now, havent encountered anything to use it with. The real factor would seem to be that if the cameras catch on to usb 3.0, which is probably why ieee1394 has stuck around for so long.

Interesting. Nearly all of Lacie's current range of external HD's are USB3 enabled, which would make for some speedy transfers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
USB3 would be nice for large data transfer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Most of my data transfers are not large files. I usually have to transfer insanely large numbers of really tiny files all in one go. I wonder how good USB3 would be at handling that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Apple have a good track record of embracing new technology, so I would thing that USB 3 will start to appear in the next line of desktop updates

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
Interesting. Nearly all of Lacie's current range of external HD's are USB3 enabled, which would make for some speedy transfers!

well with solid states coming in though, things are going to look very interesting..check out This friggin amazing video and see how fast SSDs are which might be a factor.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
well with solid states coming in though, things are going to look very interesting..check out This friggin amazing video and see how fast SSDs are which might be a factor.

How did we go from USB 3 to SSD? SSD have been around for awhile now, and they aren't practical as they are extremely expensive for the amount of storage that you get.

We have been talking about USB 3 for what like almost two years now? Hopefully they will implement it within the next two refreshes.

Light Peak is cool. I want it now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I would really like to have USB 3 considering USB 2 is no longer fast enough for me and as you mentioned Firewire 800 lacks broad support. I also don't like paying more for devices that also includes Firewire just so I can get the faster speeds. A perfect example is external hard drives. There are plenty of decently priced USB hard drives but when they add Firewire support the price goes up.

Light Peak also looks interesting but if it doesn't gain broad support we will have the whole Firewire lack of support issue all over again. It does have a higher chance of wide support though since it's being working on my Intel. I guess we will have to wait and see...

C

chas_m

USB3 hasn't really found much mass acceptance in the marketplace yet. Apple is unlikely to support it anytime soon, though of course people with Mac Pros will once again reap an advantage in that someone will create (or probably already has already created) a USB3 add-on card.

Colour me a USB3 skeptic. I don't doubt that it's very fast indeed, but all real-world indications are that -- once again -- it's posted speeds are theoretical, and users will never actually see but maybe 40-60% of the posted speed in everyday use. Now that's still very fast, but I just don't like false advertising.

I admit I was holding out for -- but have now given up on -- S1600 and S3200 Firewire, and it's a shame Apple never brought them out, but I suppose they didn't feel like expending the effort in yet another "pishing" contest. I'm keeping an eye on Light Peak, but not holding my breath.

And who's to say the eSATA technology won't improve? That could give USB3 some real competition, because for the most part USB2 is fast enough for most of the things people use it for except in one area: drive speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I voted Yes but if you have a PCMCIA/Express34 port, you can insert whatever connections for data transfer you want. ;)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Added a glaringly missing poll option for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I like USB3, but really, I don't really care, but I DO want it, just don't care enough. It's not going to stop me from getting something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Agreed, USB3 is nice but it's just a bonus. I don't need it.

OP
Kevriano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I would like to add that it's not really USB 3 that I care about but rather it could be any faster transfer system that is widely supported. I would have been happy with Firewire 800 if it was as popularly supported as USB.

The thing I really liked about USB 1 & 2 is that they are backwards compatible without needing any adapters. It made it convenient for us consumers because we didn't have to upgrade all of our devices or buy adapters for everything.

OP
Kevriano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^ Yes, and USB 3 is backwards compatible too, so that won't be an issue.
I too wish Firewire 800 had taken off, but sadly it's remained stupidly niche.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Firewire is not backwards compatible though.My imac has a FW400 port but not an FW800 port. And since FW400 devices are almost non existent now and the FW800 devices will not work, my imac does not have a FW800 port, FW800 is useless to me.

USB on the other hand being backwards compatible makes it all nice. Personally I wish Firewire had never existed. And just have more USB ports.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.