imac core 2 duo "24 lcd out

Reaction score
my lcd has been flickering a little here and there, and becoming blury, now i reset my imac and no picture at all, but the power comes on and i hear all the startup sounds but no picture...i ordered a new lcd and installed it and still same problem. could it be something else maybe on the board?

thanks rob

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you run some tests before you ordered and replaced the LCD? One test you should have done was attach an external monitor to the iMac to see if it worked OK. If an external monitor does not work when attached to your iMac, then it's likely the graphics has failed.

OP
R
Reaction score
thanks for the reply

i tried to hook up an external monitor when the lcd was working and could not get that to work then, so maybe the graphics was failing then too, can i fix the graphics card and im sue its on the board, is it woth it?

imac 24 2008 core 2 duo

thanks rob

Did you run some tests before you ordered and replaced the LCD? One test you should have done was attach an external monitor to the iMac to see if it worked OK. If an external monitor does not work when attached to your iMac, then it's likely the graphics has failed.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Certain iMac models had a removable graphics card (daughter card) that plugged into the logic board. Most iMacs and all Mac notebooks use graphics that are soldered to the logic board which means the entire logic board would have to be replaced.

You can check with iFixit: The free repair manual to see what your model iMac uses. My understanding is that it's fairly difficult to remove the plug in type graphic cards since they're located on the back side of the logic board. Make sure you have your model number on hand when you visit that site.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.