Dont know what to do!!!

Reaction score
Hi guys . I am new to this forum and stuck on this huge dilemma. Im currently a night time university student and looking for something portable and easy to take notes. I have a basic laptop and thinking of getting the macbook pro but that would mean selling my iphone and laptop to buy the macbookpro.

Option two is keeping my iphone and laptop and getting the ipad for christmas .
So in the end my question is . Should I go for a laptop/ipad/iphone combo or just macbook pro?

Thanks

Mario

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Depends how you take notes. With the iPad you have to have it laying flat on a flat table surface and constant look down. Not beneficial if you need to look up at the board or screen to copy down notes.

If you can live without an iPhone then I would go with the MBP.

OP
M
Reaction score
I will probably by a case that slants the ipad to make it easier to take notes.
I also would like to add the reason i am not using my current laptop is because the battery drains within two hours .

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You can grab the iPad and the keybaord dock that goes along with it and use that to type up your notes while keeping the iPad visible as well and not having to constantly look down..

Without the keyboard dock, you'd have to type on the iPad itself which might be slower..

Regards

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I will probably by a case that slants the ipad to make it easier to take notes.
I also would like to add the reason i am not using my current laptop is because the battery drains within two hours .

What kind of laptop do you have now? That's terrible battery life. Even if you did get a new MBP it could have poor battery life, it kind of depends on what you are doing with your machine.

To make it last longer you need to turn off bluetooth, airport if you aren't using it, and dim the screen down to at least half to extend your battery time.

OP
M
Reaction score
I have a Hp 6G2. The mac is my girlfriends so I was able to try and got over three hours of use which more then enough for school.

OP
M
Reaction score
Help plz!

Hi guys . I am new to this forum and stuck on this huge dilemma. Im currently a night time university student and looking for something portable and easy to take notes. I have a basic laptop and thinking of getting the macbook pro but that would mean selling my iphone and laptop to buy the macbookpro.

Option two is keeping my iphone and laptop and getting the ipad for christmas .
So in the end my question is . Should I go for a laptop/ipad/iphone combo or just macbook pro?

Thanks

Mario

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
For note taking I am going to suggest the iPad. There are a bunch of note taking apps that can either recognize your handwriting or just save your notes as is.

Check out smart notes, write pad, notetaker HD, ithoughts HD, and penultimate. There are also audio recording note takers. That way you don't have to ditch everything just for a laptop.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged duplicate threads

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.