Problem with Tool Bar commands in WORD 2011

Reaction score
? - when I open any WORD doc my toolbar auto open and I don't see my File View, etc. UNLESS I open the view toolbar section, select customize, then the missing toolbar opens ONLY while I am in the customize section. As soon as I close this the File toolbar disappears. How do I keep it "active"?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any toolbars that you wish to have in view at all times must be added to the Word "Normal" template otherwise they'll only appear in the document you are currently working on.

The Normal template is located here:

/Users/your user name/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/normal.dotm

You open the normal template from within Word, make changes, and then save the file. Do not attempt to open it while Word is not running as it can't be changed that way.

Reaction score
? - when I open any WORD doc my toolbar auto open and I don't see my File View, etc. UNLESS I open the view toolbar section, select customize, then the missing toolbar opens ONLY while I am in the customize section. As soon as I close this the File toolbar disappears. How do I keep it "active"?

When you use View --> Toolbars --> Customize you aren't actually seeing the toolbar that you want, you are seeing a representation of it for purposes of changing your setup.

Here is what you need to do...

Open a document, any document, in Word.

At the very far right end of the Title Bar is a clear oblong button. Click on it and all of the tool bars that you have designated in View --> Toolbars will appear.

That's it.

In my experience, very few Mac users ever use that button, and few know what it is for. But it is there in just about every Mac OS X window , and it always does the same thing. It makes toolbars (and sidebars in the Finder too) disappear and reappear.

It is sort of an instant Classic-style Mac OS transformation. In addition to hiding toolbars and sidebars in the Finder, if you use this button, folders will now open to a new window and leave the old window open, just like in the days prior to OS X.

I don't know what Apple calls this button. I've heard users call it the "capsule" or the "pill." If someone clicks on it by mistake, it sure *can* be a pill! :cool:

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.