NeoOffice 2.1 released

M

MacHeadCase

NeoOffice has been updated to version 2.1 today and is available for download for PowerPC and Intel-based Macs.

This latest version allows you to open, edit and save Microsoft Office 2007 files.

You'll need 10.3.9 or later to run the suite. Read all about it by clicking the link.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
The link doesn't work....Maybe their server is overloaded

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Another very nice catch - thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
2.1 rocks. I like the new toolbar icons (the old ones looked very Windows 3.1-ish) and despite the huge download, the app itself is very zippy on my Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
I want to download it but the page won't load for me :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (white), Core Duo 2 ghz, 2 GB RAM
2.1 rocks. I like the new toolbar icons (the old ones looked very Windows 3.1-ish) and despite the huge download, the app itself is very zippy on my Macbook.

Neooffice zippy on a macbook? unless they made some major changes to 2.1 I find that hard to believe. Neo office is slooooooooooooooooooooooow on mine with few other apps running and 2 gb RAM. I'm actually thinking of just buying MSword:confused: well as soon as I get neooffice's page to load i'll check out the new version

BTW--does anyone know if it's possible to streamline Neooffice by getting rid of spreadsheet, etc? All I need is the word processor. Thanks!:flower:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
Neooffice zippy on a macbook? unless they made some major changes to 2.1 I find that hard to believe. Neo office is slooooooooooooooooooooooow on mine with few other apps running and 2 gb RAM. I'm actually thinking of just buying MSword:confused: well as soon as I get neooffice's page to load i'll check out the new version

BTW--does anyone know if it's possible to streamline Neooffice by getting rid of spreadsheet, etc? All I need is the word processor. Thanks!:flower:
I don't know what to tell ya...I've got only 768M on my MacBook and the Intel build of NeoOffice starts up fine.
The start up splash screen has ALWAYS taken about 5-10 seconds to load up, but it did that REGARDLESS of what plaform or variation of OpenOffice I used, whether it was OpenOffice or NeoOffice - Mac, Linux, Windows.

The site must be suffering the "slashdot" effect after the word got out about the release of 2.1.
When I visited late last night/this morning, the page loaded fine.

If all you need is a word processor, NeoOffice is overkill.
Try abiword

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
I finally was able to download, it is beautiful! Check it out!

Picture 1.png

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know what to tell ya...I've got only 768M on my MacBook and the Intel build of NeoOffice starts up fine.
The start up splash screen has ALWAYS taken about 5-10 seconds to load up, but it did that REGARDLESS of what plaform or variation of OpenOffice I used, whether it was OpenOffice or NeoOffice - Mac, Linux, Windows.

The site must be suffering the "slashdot" effect after the word got out about the release of 2.1.
When I visited late last night/this morning, the page loaded fine.

Try abiword

I actually have both Office 2004 and NeoOffice installed. I actually find myself using NeoOffice more than Office. Not because the load times are short - far from it, but because the NeoOffice interface feels a lot more friendly to me - it's actually more like Office 2003 on my PC at work than the actual Microsoft implementation on Mac. And to tell you the truth, once it gets started, it does seem pretty zippy compared to MS Office.

I never would have believed it if I didn't experience it for myself.

EDIT: Ya know, I'm playing around with this new version as I write this, and it's even zippier than the last version. Even start-up is fairly quick. Maybe it is time to dump MS Office (at least on the Mac).

Reaction score
All, I can say, is that hopefully this solves my problems of it crashing whenever I try to close it. Odd timing, I know, but annoying as can be, especially when it need to recover the file when I open it next...

Oh, and Cheers to the OOo and NO community! When I have a choice, I use it 99% of the time!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Good find MHC thanks!

*Virtual Rep as it won't let me give you any more at the moment*

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! I have been waiting for the new version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
excellent... was using it this morning and didn't prompt there was a new one so downloading it now :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz/1GB RAM/250 GB HDD
Thx man. Downloading it now.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
this'll be on the list of things to do in a few days when i'm off work again.

good find MHC!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
i am thinking of getting rid of word, i just hate how it runs together.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i am thinking of getting rid of word, i just hate how it runs together.

To be completely honest... me too. I think I can count the number of times I've tried the Mac version on one hand. For most of my productive duties, I've been resorting to NeoOffice. The interface (to me) is just more familiar. I was amazed by how different the Mac version of Office looks from the Windows version (just the way the windows are laid out). For what I need to do, NeoOffice is just the better option - and the fact that I can set the default to "save as" Word or Excel means that I never have to worry about compatibility between home and office.

Thankfully, Mac Office only cost me about $20 through my company's home usage program. When I first saw and played with OpenOffice.org way back when it first came out, I never would have thought that I'd be saying this, but I do think that it will eventually make in-roads into the corporate sector.

Office 2007, while very pretty, does not make any significant leaps technologically that I can discern - and once again, we'll need to go through an Access database conversion if we ever choose to roll it out. That is a huge problem for a company like mine that has 50,000+ Access databases in the wild. Unfortunately, as a corporate customer, we are pretty much forced into upgrading by Microsoft's support cycle/phase-out. I can see where OpenOffice.org, as it evolves might eventually become an attractive option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (white), Core Duo 2 ghz, 2 GB RAM

I'm quoting myself because I just wanted to say that my pessimism was unfounded--the update of NeoOffice absolutely rocks, it looks and feels much better and it screams speed compared to the older version. thank you!!!:spook:

Try abiword

I did give Abiword a shot but it renders text very poorly on my MB. :bomb:

Anyway I am very happy with this new version of NeoOffice, and strongly recommend those looking for a free but powerful word processor to give it a shot.:black:

Reaction score
I downloaded NeoOffice last night. Overall, I'm quite happy with it. The fact that it's free seals the deal for me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", Intel Core Duo
It still lacks some features though - can't give the spreadsheet solver binary constraints, it seems. And the solver is slower than the Excel for mac one - on an Intel machine. Other than that, it seems like a decent alternative MS Office.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.