Onyx Ready For Download

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i5 iMac with 8GB RAM 1TB HDD and 32GB iPad 3 WiFi
I saw that Onyx for Mavericks is ready for download.

Click Here!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks for the heads up. I had checked around a day ago and it still was not available. Good news and thanks for sharing.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thread moved. Not an "iOS and Apps" topic.

Thanks for understanding.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
I saw that Onyx for Mavericks is ready for download.

Click Here!

Just tried downloading Onyx for Mavericks. A got a popup saying that Safari wouldn't open from an unidentified developer. What gives? Any ideas?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Firesidedog, it sounds like you have Safari set to open downloads. That can be QUITE dangerous. If I were you I would turn it off. It's in Safari preferences, General. Uncheck open SAFE files. It will also open any malware thus the warning to turn it off.

The not open thing is part of Gatekeeper. Go to the file and right click and then on open and you will get another warning, just go ok and it will open.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thread moved. Not an "iOS and Apps" topic.

Thanks for understanding.

- Nick

OOps! Me bad! I went to get the file and did not even check the thread! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Firesidedog, it sound like you have Safari set to open downloads. That can be QUITE dangerous. If I were you I would turn it off. It's in Safari preferences, General. Uncheck open SAFE files. It will also open any malware thus the warning to turn it off.

The not open thing is part of Gatekeeper. Go to the file and right click and then on open and you will get another warning, just go ok and it will open.

Actually I do have it unchecked. I learned this some time ago from the forums. When you say file do you mean the dmg?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I figured it out. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 DUO,8GB,G4SE 8600GT 256,leopard 10.5.8
thanks for the tip on safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5K Retina 27" 2017, macOS 11.3.1 Big Sur, iPhone 7Plus, iPad Pro, Apple tv4, iPodT6
Having downloaded Onyx, installing and allowing Gatekeeper permission I opened it and it reported that my Macintosh HD needed repairing and to reboot using cmd R. I verified and repaired Permissions and then verified and repaired Disk. I still says my disk needs repairing - I have gone through this procedure 3 times now and this message keeps appearing.
Anyone else getting this or similar?

Cheers .......

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually I do have it unchecked. I learned this some time ago from the forums. When you say file do you mean the dmg?

Glad you got it sorted. Why I said that about Safari was in your OP you said Safari was giving you that message! Glad you have that unchecked.

For others here, The DMG opened fine and I copied Onyx to my utilities folder where I keep Onyx. Then if you click it you get the Unidentified developer message. RIGHT click on Onyx and on Open and agree and it will open.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Having downloaded Onyx, installing and allowing Gatekeeper permission I opened it and it reported that my Macintosh HD needed repairing and to reboot using cmd R. I verified and repaired Permissions and then verified and repaired Disk. I still says my disk needs repairing - I have gone through this procedure 3 times now and this message keeps appearing.

Cheers .......

So far on the iMac it went through all the SMART and verify of the hard drive. You might boot with your OSX installer and run Disk Utility from there and have it repair. See if that works.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

If you're talking about having to do muiltiple permissions repairs...and some permissions just seem to resist being repaired...I wouldn't worry about it very much. I've run into this as well...and I don't have a good answer. 99% of the permissions were repaired...and in the future permissions will need to be repaired again (if you choose to repair them).

It's an endless process. Staying zero "repair permissions free" is not a situation that lasts very long (even if achievable). Thus this is why I say don't be concerned about it.:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The message he posted from Onyx sounds more like other issues on the drive and not permissions. Running DU from the Command+R will tell us more.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a note, the New Onyx for Mavericks works great. Ran it and system is faster and smoother. Had not run Onyx in a while on ML before this upgrade.

OP
CPulsar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i5 iMac with 8GB RAM 1TB HDD and 32GB iPad 3 WiFi
It does work good. Only thing I noticed though there is no way to change the login screen image anymore and a few other little things I miss.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It does work good. Only thing I noticed though there is no way to change the login screen image anymore and a few other little things I miss.

I wonder if that is something that Mavericks blocked? Time will tell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5K Retina 27" 2017, macOS 11.3.1 Big Sur, iPhone 7Plus, iPad Pro, Apple tv4, iPodT6
The message he posted from Onyx sounds more like other issues on the drive and not permissions. Running DU from the Command+R will tell us more.

I followed your advice. Shutdown my iMac and restarted from the USB flash drive I created when I installed OS X 10.9 and ran DU Repair Disk (Macintosh HD)
This time I got a message saying that the Macintosh HD had been repaired so I exited out of DU and restarted my iMac.

Opened Onyx again to check and it went through the Smart Status - OK and then checking the structure of the drive gave the "Disk needs to be repaired" message once again. Any ideas please??

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That does not sound good at all. Let me search around and see if others are having your issue. Will report back. IF DU says all is ok I am sort of shocked Onyx is not as it uses DU to repair permissions for one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.