How to save/convert an excel srdsht into PDF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
My friend needs to convert an excel spread sheet into a PDF to put on her website. She, BTW, has a PC.

Can some angel here tell me how to do it on a PC and my MB? I tried to help her do it on her PC last night, in Excel, but there didn't seem to be an "save as" option for a PDF.

I have NeoOffice and when I was able to open it, It was in NeoOffice. Can I do it for her on my MB?

THANKS!

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just found this in NO help. Is this the way to go for me? It reminds me that I've seen something like this on a PC - saving as a PDF was thru the print menu.

a PostScript to PDF Converter
If a PostScript to PDF converter such as Ghostscript or Adobe Acrobat Distiller is installed on your computer, you can quickly create PDF documents in the NeoOffice software.
1.In spadmin, click New Printer. This opens the Add Printer dialog.
2.Select Connect a PDF converter. Click Next.
Choose whether to use the default driver, the Acrobat Distiller driver or another driver. The driver "Generic Printer (T42 enabled)" prefers the type 42 fonts over type 3 fonts; this driver is a good choice for output to a software PostScript interpreter. Click Next.
3.In the next dialog, enter a command line for the PostScript->PDF Converter. Enter the directory where the PDF files should be saved. If you do not provide a directory, the user's home directory will be used. In the command line "(TMP)" is replaced by a temporary file and "(OUTFILE)" by the target file, the name of which is created from the document name. If "(TMP)" occurs in the command line, the Postscript code is forwarded in a file, otherwise as standard input through a pipe. If Ghostscript or Adobe Acrobat Distiller is in the search path, you can use one of the predefined command lines. Click Next.
4.Assign a name to your new PDF converter. Click Finish.
You can now create PDF documents by printing to the converter that has just been created.

How do I decide which driver and which directory to use?

And last, (sorry) why is saving as a PDF so complicated. It seems saving as almost any other type of file is just a matter of choosing what you want in the drop down menu in the save dialog box.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Check the picture below. Latest NeoOffice. File Menu, Export as PDF. Do it all the time with Spreadsheets. Hope this helps.

Picture 4.jpg

Reaction score
Most Mac applications also let you Print to PDF through the normal Print function. It's the little button in the bottom left corner that says, coincidentally, "PDF" ... :ninja:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
How do I decide which driver and which directory to use?

And last, (sorry) why is saving as a PDF so complicated. It seems saving as almost any other type of file is just a matter of choosing what you want in the drop down menu in the save dialog box.
Hi Becky!

Check out CutePDF. I run it at home and at work on PCs, and it works great. You need both parts, CuteWriter.exe and converter.exe, the links on the left side of the DOWNLOAD page below. You install both of them and then reboot. When your system comes up, you have a new "printer" called CutePDF. When you want to create a PDF, you simply print to CutePDF and save what "prints" as a PDF file.

Why is it so tough to do on a PC? Why would you want to save an MS Office document to something able to be universally read? -_^

Hope this helps!

DOWNLOADS
http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

MAIN PAGE
http://www.cutepdf.com/

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Most Mac applications also let you Print to PDF through the normal Print function. It's the little button in the bottom left corner that says, coincidentally, "PDF" ... :ninja:

;) Thanks!

Hi Becky!

Check out CutePDF. I run it at home and at work on PCs, and it works great. You need both parts, CuteWriter.exe and converter.exe, the links on the left side of the DOWNLOAD page below. You install both of them and then reboot. When your system comes up, you have a new "printer" called CutePDF. When you want to create a PDF, you simply print to CutePDF and save what "prints" as a PDF file.

Why is it so tough to do on a PC? Why would you want to save an MS Office document to something able to be universally read? -_^

Hope this helps!

DOWNLOADS
http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

MAIN PAGE
http://www.cutepdf.com/

Hi back to you and thanks I'll go look at that. :)

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Todd, that worked. It's just not obvious enough for me. At every step it seems pretty clear that you're doing it wrong. There's a lot of questions that I don't understand and don't seem to make sense. But then it works anyways. So now I'm happy. And my friend will be happy, too. :) At least it was 10 times easier then when I tried to do it on a PC last Fall. I hope my friend doesn't want me to show her how to do it on her PC, lol. Then I won't be her hero anymore. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.