USB connector from camera kit -- WOW!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 15.4" Santa Rosa (C2D, 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD)
Just got my iPad 2 wifi 3G (Verizon flavor) and LOVE it, ESPECIALLY after stumbling onto an interesting find... As you all know, the camera connection kit that is available includes the SD card connector as well as the USB connector.. W ell, just for sh.. And grins, I plugged my Logitech USB headset in, and lo and behold, IT WORKED!! So this will lead me to experiment with other devices... Watch here for results... :D

Cheers!

Patrick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
I don't think you can copy files from the iPad to the USB Memory though the kit, though it would be awesome.

And Patrick, you just confused the heck out of me... The Avatar you are using looks exactly like the one fleurya (one of our long time members) uses, lol :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
^^ Yeah no kidding! At first I thought I didn't remember posting something, then thought someone hijacked by account!

Reaction score
Reaction score
Can't remember where I have read this online but some people have been able to still get the odd usb drive to be detected using this adapter.

OP
CactusVideoGuy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 15.4" Santa Rosa (C2D, 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD)
It was never an attempt to hijack anything.. LOL .. I found it doing a Google images search.. but so far, I have only tried the headset... the problem I'm having *now* is that I just updated to 4.3.1 (or tried!) but now I'm getting an error 1013 in iTunes. Grr. (should I post that and try to find an answer in a different section of the forum? LOL)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
There is a way of connecting external storage......... without jailbreaking

HyperDrive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
You are unlikely to get any kind of external storage device to work with the kit's USB port unless you jailbreak your iPad:
IPad Camera Connection Kit Supports External Hard Drives | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Even then, as of iOS 4.2 the USB port provided by the kit doesn't have enough power to read USB flash drives.
Hmmmm...as the owner of a jailbroken iPhone 4 this definitely intrigues me. I don't have an iPad yet, but I should by the end of this week. I'll more than likely jailbreak for SBSettings if nothing else...but if I find the lack of a USB port frustrating me I'll give this a shot.

That said, I seriously doubt the lack of a USB port will be that big of an issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'd love to know if my Rode Podcaster microphone (details here) will work with the camera connector and the iPad.

There's a few mixed reports that larger USB mics used to work, but that the latest updates don't support them anymore as Apple lowered the max available power.

Reaction score
I just plugged in my card reader to my 1st gen Ipad and got a not-enough power message...this is the same reader I've been using since I got the ipad...now I'm interested in this issue, whereas before I wasn't.
From searching around this morning the only solution I've been able to find is to use a powered USB hub connected to the Camera Connector and then plug the USB device into the hub. While this is workable when you're home or near an electrical outlet, it blows if you're out in the field and just want to upload images on the fly to the internet...has anyone found a Cydia (or other) hack that increases the power output?

Reaction score
Just got my iPad 2 wifi 3G (Verizon flavor) and LOVE it, ESPECIALLY after stumbling onto an interesting find... As you all know, the camera connection kit that is available includes the SD card connector as well as the USB connector.. W ell, just for sh.. And grins, I plugged my Logitech USB headset in, and lo and behold, IT WORKED!! So this will lead me to experiment with other devices... Watch here for results... :D

Cheers!

Patrick
What I am hoping for in iOS5 is to input data via the SD card ... just like photos. Just needs the proper app.

Reaction score
Can you copy a file onto a usb card?

No. The voltage to power the USB device is not sufficient and it won't work. Also there is no app in the iOS to read data. It reads from a photo folder DSIM and data doesn't work in the Photo app.

Reaction score
I do know that you can copy files from an SD card. I have done it. They all get copied to your Photos App, whether they are a picture, word file, movie etc. I found the info from this website:
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110314054357575 which says:

This hint requires the Apple Camera Connection Kit and some SD cards.

You may find it useful for all sorts of reasons to have extra storage space available on your iPad. In my case as a regular traveller I like to take a number of movies to watch on my iPad but there is a limit to how many large-sized films that can be stored on the device; especially if you have one of the smaller memory sized ones. I know apps like AirVideo can stream from your home computer even when travelling away from home, but this is not always practical depending on where you go.

I have discovered, after reading a hard-to-find hint elsewhere on the web, that photos and videos can be stored on an SD card, and imported with the SD card adapter in the Camera Connection Kit, as long as the filenames are in a recognised format. The original hint I found suggested that just naming the files correctly would work but I found that the files need to be in a specific folder to be recognised.

The SD card you use needs to have the folder structure that is created when the card is used in a camera, so I just used a card that already contained this structure, but one where all the old photos/videos have been removed.

The folder structure on my card looks like this: DCIM » 100DICAM, but yours may well be different. The important thing is that any movies or photos that you want to be able to import to the iPad need to be in the embedded 100DICAM (in this case) folder. I have another camera where the second folder is not there and on this card I put the movies directly in the DCIM folder.

Than all you need to do is add movies to this folder with the naming structure as used by your camera. An 8 digit name with sequential numbers. Examples could be P0000001, P0000002, etc. or DCM_0001, DCM_0002, etc.

When you then put this card in the Camera Connection Kit and plug it into the iPad, the iPad will ask to import the files. They will be added to the Photos app, but they play just fine from there. I have successfully imported a large HD movie (formatted with Handbrake for the AppleTV). You need a big card for this size of movie though.

With this process you can delete movies from the iPad when they have been watched and add new ones. The only difficulty is that the name structure required means that you don't know what film is what -- a good set of notes would be needed, unless you have a very good memory that is!

Thanks go to the author nigelgoodman for this very handy and useful way of bringing along more files of various types when we travel!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.