External Imac Ports?

Reaction score
I have an old imac and its just kinda sitting around but i was wondering if there was anyway i could strip it apart and use the usb, firewire, etc. ports and turn them into an external media base to plug usb, firewire, headphones, etc. into. i understand it is probably not an easy task but if anyone is up for the challenge that would be awesome and if you can do it can you give me directions on how to do it? Thanx

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have an old imac and its just kinda sitting around but i was wondering if there was anyway i could strip it apart and use the usb, firewire, etc. ports and turn them into an external media base to plug usb, firewire, headphones, etc. into. i understand it is probably not an easy task but if anyone is up for the challenge that would be awesome and if you can do it can you give me directions on how to do it? Thanx

The ports you speak of are soldered onto the logic board...they can't just be removed...and used for other purposes. And even if the ports themselves could be removed...more goes into an "external media base" than just the ports.

If this old iMac is operational...no point in tearing apart a working computer. Find a use for the computer, sell it, or give it to some needy person.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.