Help! I cannot get photoshop/lightroom to recognize my Nik Software plugin?

Reaction score
I have installed the following nik software plugins:

-color efex pro
-silver efex pro
-sharpener efex pro
-dfine efex pro

when i open photoshop and click on "filters>>nik software" the only thing that comes up for me is color efex...i do not see any of the other plugins???

also when i open lightroom and i try to right click and edit the picture in... >> i do not see the option of any kind of nik software whatsoever..

please help!

also can someone tell me why one would edit images in photoshop vs lightroom? doesnt photoshop do everything lightroom does plus more?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I've had issues with LR recognizing the SEP plug in's at one point, and had to just uninstall and reinstall. Not sure why it did that, but stuff happens. In regards to your second question:

Lightroom and PS are two entirely different beasts. Sure, they both do their share of editing, but there are very distinct differences. First off, and most importantly... LR is a DAM, which is short for digital asset manager. A fancy way of saying that it not only edits your content, but also manages the library in a database environment. PS only edits, while you'd have to use something like Bridge in order to maintain your catalog.

Furthermore, you also have to consider what type of photo editing you'll be doing. If you're only going to be doing basic editing to a RAW file, such as fixing exposure white balance and tweaking of this sort, LR should be more than enough (and then some) for most anyone.

Where LR falls short (and for obvious reasons, it's cheaper than PS) is in its advanced editing capabilities. For instance, you can clone out spots and such in LR, but you'll never be able to do the type of clone stamping or advanced cloning out of objects, that PS affords you.

PS is also more geared towards those in the fashion industry or graphic artist who wants to do more than just color and light correction. Don't get me wrong, if you don't shoot fashion and are not a graphic artist, then LR is more than enough.

I do however use both, but only seldom do I use PS on non fashion type shoots. If you shoot subjects outside of a studio, and are not looking to alter your work to the point of where it's unrecognizable from the original product, then LR or Aperture etc are perfect.

Doug

OP
M
Reaction score
I've had issues with LR recognizing the SEP plug in's at one point, and had to just uninstall and reinstall. Not sure why it did that, but stuff happens. In regards to your second question:

Lightroom and PS are two entirely different beasts. Sure, they both do their share of editing, but there are very distinct differences. First off, and most importantly... LR is a DAM, which is short for digital asset manager. A fancy way of saying that it not only edits your content, but also manages the library in a database environment. PS only edits, while you'd have to use something like Bridge in order to maintain your catalog.

Furthermore, you also have to consider what type of photo editing you'll be doing. If you're only going to be doing basic editing to a RAW file, such as fixing exposure white balance and tweaking of this sort, LR should be more than enough (and then some) for most anyone.

Where LR falls short (and for obvious reasons, it's cheaper than PS) is in its advanced editing capabilities. For instance, you can clone out spots and such in LR, but you'll never be able to do the type of clone stamping or advanced cloning out of objects, that PS affords you.

PS is also more geared towards those in the fashion industry or graphic artist who wants to do more than just color and light correction. Don't get me wrong, if you don't shoot fashion and are not a graphic artist, then LR is more than enough.

I do however use both, but only seldom do I use PS on non fashion type shoots. If you shoot subjects outside of a studio, and are not looking to alter your work to the point of where it's unrecognizable from the original product, then LR or Aperture etc are perfect.

Doug

Hey doug,

what is the benefit of being able to " manage the library in a database environment" or being able to " maintain your catalog. "

is there anything photoshop *cant* do that lightroom can from an editing perspective?

im gonna try re-installing the plugins.....hope it works this time!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.