Ability to run OS X 10.7.x on MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Where can I find out why my MacBook Pro is seemingly unable to run OS X 10.7.x (LION) or OS X 10.8 (MOUNTAIN LION). I am currently running OS X 10.6.8, have 216 mhz
Core 2 Duo processor, 8 gig free space, and 4 gig RAM. I run update software from the about this mac dropdown, and it says that there are no updates available. When I attempt to purchase Mountain Lion from the app store, it says my device is not compatible. I can't figure out how to purchase Lion at all. Any help will be appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Where can I find out why my MacBook Pro is seemingly unable to run OS X 10.7.x (LION) or OS X 10.8 (MOUNTAIN LION). I am currently running OS X 10.6.8, have 216 mhz
Core 2 Duo processor, 8 gig free space, and 4 gig RAM. I run update software from the about this mac dropdown, and it says that there are no updates available. When I attempt to purchase Mountain Lion from the app store, it says my device is not compatible. I can't figure out how to purchase Lion at all. Any help will be appreciated.

Yes…your MacBook is too old to run Mountain Lion…but it should be able to run Lion. Unfortunately when Apple released Mountain Lion…they removed Lion from the Mac App Store.

What you have to do is…give Apple a phone call (800# not the Apple Stores)…and see what they can do for you.:)

- Nick

p.s. FYI…you may also want to look into that 8gig of free space. That's getting pretty tight for everyday computing.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is no 216Mhz Core 2 Duo CPU. Did you mean 2.16 Ghz? Trying to figure out what machine you own.

Agreed with Nick, give Apple a call and tell them you can't run Mountain Lion and need Lion.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
p.s. FYI…you may also want to look into that 8gig of free space. That's getting pretty tight for everyday computing.

REALLY tight for a system partition. Your machine is likely heavily fragmented. Definitely want to look at upgrading that hard disk if you can't clean it up further.

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry for the typo, it is indeed 2.16 ghz, and I do have much more than the required 8 gig minimum left on the drive. Thanks for the info on obtaining Lion, I was pretty sure that I could not run Mountain Lion, but was having a devil of a time trying to obtain Lion, which I thought my machine could handle.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.