Backing up Time Machine...

Reaction score
Usually during strong thunderstorms I go around the house and unplug "delicate" electronics that I dont want damaged… tvs, home theater stuff, computers, ham radio… but I usually leave modem and Time machine plugged in….

I stated thinking If my Time machine takes a hit I am screwed…

So I was wondering if there is a way to back up Time Machine to a portable external drive in addition to the way it functions now?

**I have Time Machine set up through a Airport and external usb drive)**

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
You can use more than one drive to backup TM a lot of people use 2 locations.
You can also put the router/modem and hard drive on a surge protector/ battery backup I like APC.

OP
M
Reaction score
Its on one of those $12 Belkin ones now… but I just want piece of mind…

Can you set up a second location for temporary back up… obviously a portable HD wont be networked all the time…

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Its on one of those $12 Belkin ones now… but I just want piece of mind…

Can you set up a second location for temporary back up… obviously a portable HD wont be networked all the time…

I have one set up at home and work 2 different locations so the odds are
I will not loose anything should something happen at one location. I use networked at home and FW 800 Drive at work both are on a APC UPS.
The reason for FW-800 at work is for speed I might hook up once a week at that location.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1 for the advice given by osxx. Here in Texas we get thunderstorms that sound like WW III. Without a good backup UPS and carefully watching the weather, you're only asking for trouble. Surge protectors are like pacifiers, in reality they're pretty much useless during a Thunderstorm and lightning strikes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.