23 Cinema Display

Reaction score
I've got a 23'inch sitting at home, pretty close to a window which makes it cold - now I don't know if that affects the problem, because since I never had the power adapter for almost 2 weeks and then I just got it today and tested it, nothing is showing up - shows that its on from the "led" but no pictures. Is it because it's been damage by the cold or I just to let it heat it up? HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
I have 3 questions.

1. Is it on?
2. What is it hooked up to?
3. Did it just go out, or is the first time you have tried it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I have 3 questions.

1. Is it on?
2. What is it hooked up to?
3. Did it just go out, or is the first time you have tried it?

All important questions.

When you say cold, how cold?

If this is a mac laptop, did your try the fn+F7 key?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
A few more questions that may help:
1/ Has this monitor worked before, or is it a new monitor (at least to you) that you have not previously had working?
2/ Do you know that the cable between it and your Mac is in good condition?
3/ Can you test the monitor against another computer and/or another cable?
4/ Finally, is your Mac driving the monitor at the correct native resolution and no more than 60 Hz (you can check this from the displays preference panel)?

OP
A
Reaction score
A few more questions that may help:
1/ Has this monitor worked before, or is it a new monitor (at least to you) that you have not previously had working?
2/ Do you know that the cable between it and your Mac is in good condition?
3/ Can you test the monitor against another computer and/or another cable?
4/ Finally, is your Mac driving the monitor at the correct native resolution and no more than 60 Hz (you can check this from the displays preference panel)?

1- its new
2- yup
3- nope
4- i dont have a mac, i have a pc - im trying to connect it

OP
A
Reaction score
All important questions.

When you say cold, how cold?

If this is a mac laptop, did your try the fn+F7 key?

its pretty close to the window, an open window last week or before that so its pretty cold

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I dont think you can freeze a display, but it is liquid, so I would warm it up and try it in another location.

Reaction score
Storage temperature as stated by Apple can be as low as -40 deg C.

Does your PC has an appropriate video card with a DVI port?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Given that it is a PC, I would re-ask my question about refresh rate and native resolution. Do you know that you are driving the monitor within its specs? I know that PCs generally don't default to settings like this.

Reaction score
I have a 23" apple cinema display. I often have the same issue where the power light on the monitor is on, but the screen is black ( many times the fans on the g5 will kick in and stay blowing quite strong. I've experienced it intermittently but regularly since I purchased my monitor 3 years ago along with the my G5. Sometimes I have to restart the computer a dozen times before the monitor will come "on". Today, I haven't been able to get it on at all yet. Apple recently replaced the power supply on the monitor and that did not solve the problem. I'm beginning to wonder if it's the video card or if it could be temperature related as it does get pretty cold at night in my shop. I googled apple cinema display cold temperature and it brought up this thread so I thought I'd post my 2 cents. I hope some monitor experts will speak up. It does seem to be more problematic in colder seasons I believe unless I'm imagining things.

OP
A
Reaction score
I have a 23" apple cinema display. I often have the same issue where the power light on the monitor is on, but the screen is black ( many times the fans on the g5 will kick in and stay blowing quite strong. I've experienced it intermittently but regularly since I purchased my monitor 3 years ago along with the my G5. Sometimes I have to restart the computer a dozen times before the monitor will come "on". Today, I haven't been able to get it on at all yet. Apple recently replaced the power supply on the monitor and that did not solve the problem. I'm beginning to wonder if it's the video card or if it could be temperature related as it does get pretty cold at night in my shop. I googled apple cinema display cold temperature and it brought up this thread so I thought I'd post my 2 cents. I hope some monitor experts will speak up. It does seem to be more problematic in colder seasons I believe unless I'm imagining things.

that's exactly whats going on, but im using a pc although never tried getting a video card for the pc that supports a dvi for the 23 cinema hd - that will be my last try. hopefully its works, but do you guys think I can return this to apple and replace it?

Reaction score
Before you purchase a video card, why don't you contact one of the three Apple retail stores in Toronto and see if they can let you bring your monitor and hook up one of the their Mac? Just a suggestion.

Reaction score
that is a good idea... u should try that..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a Viewsonic VP2130b 21" LCD, which sits in my warm comfortable study (so I know that temperature is not an issue). Now and then, it too fails to turn on during restarts, activations from sleep and so on. It is a sporadic problem, and I have worked out a solution that always recovers it, and so I put up with it, since it is such an excellent monitor (clearest, brightest, best image I have ever seen). I have always assumed that Viewsonic had a bit of a compatibility issue with Apple. I am surprised to see this happening with Apple monitors! They ought to work with Apple computers!

In case it may help, here is the solution I use. It works every time, and it is just a matter of timing. Two cases need to be considered:

Cold Power On of the Mac. I start with the Mac and the monitor both fully off. Power on the Mac itself, and wait for the startup chime. Once you hear the chime, power on the monitor main switch and then turn on the front panel power switch. Thats it - it has never failed.

Warm Power On of the Mac. In this case, the Mac has been previously running and I have told it to sleep. I am now "waking it up". The monitor is in standby mode at this point. 90% of the time waking up works as expected and everything comes up, no muss no fuss. When it doesn't, the Mac seems to come up just fine but the display never turns on. In this case, I put the Mac through a restart and apply the "Cold Power Up" recipe from above.

To do this, I use the key combination CTL+CMD+EJECT (EJECT is the CD/DVD tray open/close button) to force an immediate shutdown and restart. When I hear the machine reset to ROM (I can hear the CD/DVD drive make a characteristic noise at this point) I turn off the monitor. Then I wait for the reset chime and turn it back on. This seems to ensure that the monitor comes on every time.

This is a really silly workaround, and I have no idea what the root problem is, but it has saved me from the experience you are having, where you have to restart over and over and over, waiting for that random combination of conditions to be just right, so that the Mac and monitor recognize each other and all is well. This is a one-cycle, never-fails workaround. It is annoying but effective. I hope that it may work for you!

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
I also have the same problem mac57 has from time to time. It never hapens during sleep though, only cold startups. I have a 20in samsung monitor.

My solution is to hold the power of button until the mac shuts off, then i unplug the power from the power supply for about 5 seconds, they I start it up again. this works alomost every time.

I think it has to do with the way osx manages the graphic cards, because my pc has a 7300gt and it works perfect.

OP
A
Reaction score
going through some testing at a mac store....waiting

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.