Best batteries for the Magic Mouse?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
They eat batteries like crazy, about a set every 3 weeks or so, but this is with cheap store brand alkalines. It is what it is, not ranting here, but what brands last the longest? What about rechargeables, how long do they last between charges?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of Alkaline batteries have you been buying, or maybe I should ask - what are you doing with your Magic Mouse that causes the batteries to wear out so quickly?

My batteries last for several months at least and they're store purchased cheap Alkaline batteries. I guess you can try re-chargeable batteries to see if they're more cost effective.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...but this is with cheap store brand alkalines.

Stop using cheap "dollar store" batteries.;) Use good name brand batteries...and you will get longer battery life. Sometimes you get what you pay for.:)

As far as what brands...almost anything will be better than cheap "no-name" batteries purchased at dollar stores, flea markets, etc.:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Months? Now that is unfathomable that they could last that long! By the way, the original batteries which came with the mouse when new lasted about a month, or maybe a bit more, as I recall. Oh well, I will try 'real' batteries once I burn through my supply. Also, turning the mouse switch to "off" does not make an appreciable difference in battery life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I get many months of use on my Magic Mouse, Magic TrackPad, and keyboard. 3 weeks use is just silliness and it has to be the quality of the batteries.

The trackpad and the keyboard never get turned off, but I do switch off the mouse when it goes into my bag after a day of work.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, keyboard lasts months, even with the cheapies, so far at least (I've only changed them once a couple of months ago and they still show 100%).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Months? Now that is unfathomable that they could last that long!

Try some "better" batteries as an experiment (Duracell or Eveready). Then you can make some comparisons between the "life" of cheaper batteries & "better" name brand batteries.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Energizer Ultimate Lithiums last three months on a mouse / trackpad and about six on the keyboard. Don't bother with el cheeps nor rechargables.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Going on 6 or 7 months with mine. Always turn the mouse off when I'm not using it and it doesn't get more than a few hrs usage on a daily basis. Sometimes more, but not that often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Going on 6 or 7 months with mine. Always turn the mouse off when I'm not using it and it doesn't get more than a few hrs usage on a daily basis. Sometimes more, but not that often.

Just want to join this thread - bought the iMac for my wife in May, used the original batteries for the Magic Mouse, and then replaced them - now @ 30% so will need replacement soon, so I'm figuring about a 3 month life (and these are brand names) - spouse uses her computer daily (can't give the time & activity) and I don't 'turn off' the mouse (not sure 'how important' that would even be if one is not actively using the device - any comments?).

NOW, I think that the future of some of these battery issues relates to charging w/o wires - kind of like an electric toothbrush, i.e. why not place the mouse in a carriage that will charge in-built batteries - think of the possibilities? Will a carriage even be needed, i.e. automatic charging of these devices w/i a limited range? Who knows? Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I use Lenmar R2G rechargeable batteries in my Magic Trackpad. I usually get 2-3 months out of them. I believe they are equivalent to the Apple branded rechargeable batteries.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Energizer Ultimate Lithiums last three months on a mouse / trackpad and about six on the keyboard. Don't bother with el cheeps nor rechargables.

I use Lenmar R2G rechargeable batteries in my Magic Trackpad. I usually get 2-3 months out of them. I believe they are equivalent to the Apple branded rechargeable batteries.

I would of said rechargeable batteries as well. Again, dont buy a non branded or cheap brand, you need to get the good rechargeable batteries. Yes the outlay is is quite a bit, but over time, (a year) you would of made your $ back.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't 'turn off' the mouse (not sure 'how important' that would even be if one is not actively using the device - any comments?).

As far as saving the batteries, I've found it makes no difference in their longevity.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I get 2-3 months out of a set of Normal EverReady Energizers and I use the mouse very hard. What Harry suggested (Energizer Ultimate Lithium) should last even longer. My Apple keyboard using it heavy daily gets maybe 5 or more out of the same Energizers.

I get way less life with the MM and cheaper Alakines like Ray O Vac and other brands. I can notice the difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And no need to turn the mouse/keyboard off. They will close down automatically. That 3/6 months was using the computer 5 hours a day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
And no need to turn the mouse/keyboard off. They will close down automatically. That 3/6 months was using the computer 5 hours a day.

Thanks for the comments on whether turning off the Magic Mouse made a difference in the battery life - knew the KB shut down when not in use.

Continuing to research this topic - I'm sure this is already known but apparently the Apple NiMH rechargeable batteries are just re-branded Sanyo Eneloops, which are rather inexpensive at Amazon (and apparently Costco) - Source HERE but article is 3 yrs old, so not sure if that has changed?

Also reading about Apple's Mobee Magic Mouse charger which uses USB power to charge the mouse sitting on a pad (kind like my toothbrush charger analysis) - any experience among the posters w/ this device - the reviews on the Apple website are not that good for many users? Thanks - Dave

511ZpROCHkL._AA200_.jpg
magicchargerhero11162010.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.