Maximized Windows Don't Open in the Right Spaces?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am on Snow Leopard, 10.6.2. This problem has been occurring ever since I started using Snow Leopard, and I wonder if you guys are experiencing the same.

I have different applications set to different spaces in my system currently. For example, my iTunes is in Space 1 and my Adium is in Space 4. If I maximize iTunes in Space 4, it should rightfully open in Space 1, right?

However, whenever I try to maximize iTunes from the Dock, it will open in random spaces instead of the one specified in System Preferences. This doesn't just happen to the mentioned applications, but pretty much every application that I minimize.

Anybody has experienced this, and, found any ways to solve it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Could you explain what you mean by "maximize?"

OS X does not have any function for the word "maximize" so it's kind of hard to understand you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
He's using windows terms. He means if the app or window is hidden (cmd H/minus button) and brings it up from the dock, it isn't opening in the right space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
iTunes is in Space 1 and my Adium is in Space 4. If I maximize iTunes in Space 4, it should rightfully open in Space 1, right?
That does not seem Apple thinking to me - i would assume that the iTunes App would live in space 4 until you change the settings in Sys Prefs > Spaces like this;

Click for full size

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
He's using windows terms. He means if the app or window is hidden (cmd H/minus button) and brings it up from the dock, it isn't opening in the right space.

I believe the Windows term for that is "Restore."

The Windows term "Maximize" means, roughly, "fullscreen."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Just tried it and you are correct. I sent a file to the Dock, then went to a different Space. When I clicked on the icon in the Dock, I was instantly taken back to the assigned Space where I viewed the file originally. But, I'm using Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.