Basic NAS questions

RTP

Reaction score
Hi

I have decided I need (want) a NAS device. I’ll primarily use it for my iTunes music so I can access it from all my computers (Mac Mini, Macbook and a Dell with XP). When it comes to networking I’m a bit of a dunce, so would appreciate it if you guys can confirm the following:

1) Will the NAS just appear as another drive on my Mac desktop like an external drive does? And in “My Computer” on Windows?

2) Can the drive be accessed over the Internet? E.g., from work? If so, how secure is this?

3) I have a MyBook for back-ups, so have been looking at the MyBook world as it would look nice with my current setup. The WD website says it’s Windows only – is that right? Surely if it’s accessible via the Internet then it wouldn’t matter whether it’s OSX/Windows/whatever.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
1) Will the NAS just appear as another drive on my Mac desktop like an external drive does? And in “My Computer” on Windows?

2) Can the drive be accessed over the Internet? E.g., from work? If so, how secure is this?

3) I have a MyBook for back-ups, so have been looking at the MyBook world as it would look nice with my current setup. The WD website says it’s Windows only – is that right? Surely if it’s accessible via the Internet then it wouldn’t matter whether it’s OSX/Windows/whatever.

1.) No and Yes. When you plug in an external drive the OS detects it. A NAS device is a few mmore steps. First you need to configure the device. Sometimes manufacturers privide "Windows Only" configuration tools, but once configured they are accessible with Macs and PCs. Next you need to MAP (windows) or Mount (Mac) the network share. Usually the instructions are provided with the NAS device.

2.) Yes you'l be able to access it with some firewall configuration. How secure will depend on your password. That is really how secure anything is.

3.) The MyBook should be fine for both assuming the configuration can be done with a Mac when you finally decide that you don't need windows anymore :)

As for iTunes music library sharing. You are better off using the sharing feature insude iTunes vs dumong music on a NAS and having all users look at that as if it's their own. Pick a computer that will be on all the time and just turn on iTunes sharing. Easiest to manage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.