Good photo printing program?

Reaction score
I did some searching and I didnt really find what I was looking for.

Ok so heres the deal.

I have canon photo printer and I am looking for a program that will help me out with printing. I use photoshop and lightroom, but the problem is that I cant really figure out photoshop and Lightroom does not give me the option of printing on photo paper so they turn out pretty low quality. The only program that gives me that option is iphoto and I am trying to stay away from that. Are there any programs that y'all use that really give you good results for printing? Im trying to get some freeware so I dont have to pay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
You could try printing from preview, I do that a lot when I need to print things quick. I think there is an advanced tab in the print window so you should be able to change the paper type, quality, and/or print settings in that.

Reaction score

Ok so heres the deal.

I have canon photo printer and I am looking for a program that will help me out with printing. I use photoshop and lightroom, but the problem is that I cant really figure out photoshop and Lightroom does not give me the option of printing on photo paper so they turn out pretty low quality. The only program that gives me that option is iphoto and I am trying to stay away from that. Are there any programs that y'all use that really give you good results for printing? Im trying to get some freeware so I dont have to pay.

You might try HP Photosmart Studio. It is my understanding you don't have to have an HP printer to use their program. I use it in place of iPhoto.

M

MacHeadCase

Doesn't the Printer Setup Utility dialogue box give you access to your Canon printer model settings? I have an Epson Stylus Photo 820 and an HP LaserJet 1300 and I can tweak the print settings for each printer I use if I want to.

Print_setting.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Photoshop is the BEST photo printing program I have ever used, bar none. With its own built in color management system, it delivers truer results than anything I have used before.

To figure out how to use this to best advantage, I would recommend one of Scott Kelby's excellent "The Photoshop CSx Book for Digital Photographers". There are variants of this book for CS, CS2, Elements 2, Elements 3, Elements 4 and I even saw one for Elements 5 last night at the book store.

These books are all basically "recipes" for how to do all sorts of things well in Photoshop. There is an excellent section in at least the CS and CS2 books, which I have, on how to print to devastatingly good effect. The books aren't cheap (around $35) but well worth it... particularly if you already have Photoshop, which you do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook

Ok so heres the deal.

I have a Canon printer too (Pixma) - and it came with a brilliant piece of software, cleverly named Easy Photoprint. It works the same way those DIY stands in shopping centres work. You select a directory, a preview of the photos comes up, and you click each one for a number of copies. Retouching can be done in this app too, but I've found the colours to be pretty much spot on. It has a bundle of options for paper types and sizes, and took me no time at all to get used to. The only thing that isn't so straight forward, was that the default paper tray wasn't the proper one, so I had to change that.

If you got any install CDs, check on those for similar software, otherwise the Canon site may have it available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g
I also use Photoshop and Lightroom to print, but use a Kodak ESP-5 and it automatically selects photo paper when printing from these programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You could try printing from preview, I do that a lot when I need to print things quick. I think there is an advanced tab in the print window so you should be able to change the paper type, quality, and/or print settings in that.

+1 for Preview. I have a Canon Pixma 620 and I use Preview to print photos because of the wide range of options you get in the printing preferences. Photos (color and B&W) look amazing! We have several hanging around our house.

I've never installed or used the Easy Photoprint software. Might give it a try just to have something to compare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2011 - iPhone 5
No Longer Supported :-(

I have a Canon printer too (Pixma) - and it came with a brilliant piece of software, cleverly named Easy Photoprint. It works the same way those DIY stands in shopping centres work. You select a directory, a preview of the photos comes up, and you click each one for a number of copies. Retouching can be done in this app too, but I've found the colours to be pretty much spot on. It has a bundle of options for paper types and sizes, and took me no time at all to get used to. The only thing that isn't so straight forward, was that the default paper tray wasn't the proper one, so I had to change that.

If you got any install CDs, check on those for similar software, otherwise the Canon site may have it available.

I wish this were still true, but the program is no longer supported by Mac.

Reaction score
No longer supported

I wish this were still true, but the program is no longer supported by Mac.

I have an older Canon photo printer i960 for which I could find no driver to work with my Mac OS 10.10.5 Yosemite. It was such a disappointment and the photo printer was such an outstanding printer for me with previous PCs. I contacted Canon and was told it was no longer supported. Today, in one last lunge, I did another Google search to see if anyone had created a driver that would work on my Mac. I succeeded! I rejoiced!!! The source is: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Drivers/Canon-i960-Driver.shtml. My Canon i960 is now working as it always has.

C

chas_m

Man I hope you got the malware-free version of the driver from that rat's nest. Wouldn't touch that site with a hazmat suit on!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.