Mail 10.5 vs Outlook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
I'm trying to switch my wife from a PC to a Mac. However, she seems to be married (besides to me) to Outlook. Is 10.5 Mail as good and functional as Outlook (not Express)?

Also, does 10.5 mail have spam filtering that works? Outlook's junk/spam filtering is a joke.

Thanks.

PS...I posted this same topic in the OS-X forum but didn't seem to get mu traction there...besides, wife is a soon to be 'Switcher'

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Outlook is primarily a PIM while the mail program supplied with OS X (currently Leopard) is an email client. Folks who use Outlook for mail only probably don't need Outlook. :)

The mail program in Leopard will attempt to identify junk mail but filtering really should be done at the ISP level. I use GMail which integrates very well into the Leopard mail program. Junk mail filtering takes place at the server level. (which is the way it should be)

As far as switching your wife over, why not setup an account for her on your Mac and let her test it out for herself? Many folks are reluctant to change but once they do switch, never look back.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
mail is not the same as outlook, since it is a different app, and does not have its own calendar, but ties in with the separate app iCal, and uses the masc Address Book as its contact manager

Its filtering is good tho

Also, because Outlook archives to a propriety format copying across all her mail is tricky but there is a way.

Basically it involves installing Thunderbird on the pc and importing outlook's mail to THunderbird. Then copying over thunderbirds mail folder to a mac with Thunderbird on it. Only when the mail is in Thunderbird will mail be able to import it.

If all that sounds like a hassle, then spend a few dollars on Outlook to mac, $10 well spent

http://www.littlemachines.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Mail is very good at filtering. I get about 800 spam emails a week. About 3 get through.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I'm trying to switch my wife from a PC to a Mac. However, she seems to be married (besides to me) to Outlook. Is 10.5 Mail as good and functional as Outlook (not Express)?

No. It can't handle things like calendars. But Microsoft's Entourage is, provided you don't get the Student and Teacher Edition 2008 version.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
No. It can't handle things like calendars. But Microsoft's Entourage is, provided you don't get the Student and Teacher Edition 2008 version.
I do have Mac Office 2004. I always understood that Entourage was basically Outlook Express.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.