Tiger CD keeps spitting out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
After I installed Tiger DVD everything was running fine. I had OS9 before so Tiger was the second system. The only troubleshooting I wanted to do with Apple was about how to switch from OS9 to OS10. From OS10 to OS9 was very simple and obvious. During the troubleshooting, the cust. serv. rep. made me use the Tiger installation CD to get back to OS10 while I was still in OS9. I thought I was stuck and he did not seem to know any different. So, he ended up making me create several "users" even though I only wanted myself as one user. It would not work anyway. After creating the fourth variation of my name the Tiger Installation CD started spitting out. When they trasferred me to a "higher" tech. support the person guided me through and thought me that all I have to do to select Control Panels in OS9 and choose Startup Disk. DUH! I asked him about the Tiger DVD spitting and he did not want to touch it. He asked me to take the DVD back and get a brand new Tiger. I did. It is the same problem ever since.
My concern is that if I need to boot up my HD from the Tiger disk it keeps spitting out. Everything else is running well.
How could I fix this problem?
:radioacti IS MY HARD DRIVE ANGRY?:eek: :bushman:

OP
johntalin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Halelujay!

I decided to bring this post back to tell you about my solution how I kept the DVD from spitting.
It was a simple solution for me, but when I checked other Mac forums, I found out that I am not an isolated case. I read that some music DVDs, and Tiger Install CDs spit out in different Mac models.
Since I had exchanged the initial DVD I had purchased with a brand new one at the store, DVD being defective was out of question. So, I tried changing the Admin. Password. It did not work. I inserted Tiger in the drive again and went to System Pref., Startup Disk, Chose Tiger, Restart... Did not work. I put the DVD again and tried restart with C pressed down with the same results. Last time I did the same thing, except I kept pressing the C down and pushed the drive tray back in a couple of times and it stayed in. I have not tried it again, but I hope it works for others in a similar situation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 1.8 Ghz, OS X 10.4
Just curious does your machine actually have a DVD player. If you are trying to put a DVD into a CD drive your results are correct. It will spit it out every time.

Reaction score
I had the same problem the other night. I have a new mac Mini, and I was trying to watch some TV I had recorded to DVD, so I stuck the DVD in, and it kept spitting it out after a few seconds. I had used this DVD in it before, and my fix was that just after putting it in, I opened DVD player, and it worked fine.

Just thought this might be of some use to people watching DVDs with this problem.

OP
johntalin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just curious does your machine actually have a DVD player. If you are trying to put a DVD into a CD drive your results are correct. It will spit it out every time.

Yes, I have a G4 AGP which has a drive for CD-Roms and DVDs and the Tiger DVD worked at the beginning. I used the same DVD to install my OSX. After the first installation, I started having problems.
Other Mac forums indicated that different Macs running Tiger have this type of problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.