Question...

Reaction score
So... I use Conky on my Linux box and was wondering if there was anything similar for OS X.
Conky - Home
Is Geektool comparable. or as versatile?
NOT looking for something to run in X11.
Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about the iStat Menus application? Not the free version, but the paid version. ($16)

Download LINK

OP
cradom
Reaction score
Not exactly what I was looking for but thanks.
Looked around at Geektool and some scripts and it looks pretty good. Downloaded it and gonna play with it some.
There's also Nerdtool but the developers link at Macupdate is a 404. Not good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Is Geektool comparable. or as versatile?

Yea GeekTool 3 is bloody awesome and what you can do with it. It will do what you want and more cradom.

Ive always looked at Geeklets for scripts that i can customise to suit what i need.

OP
cradom
Reaction score
That's one of the sites I found when I Googled for scripts. I see it's pretty much comparable to Conky. They both do bash and scripts, both have a scripting language (Lua vs Applescript) and both can incorporate graphics.
This is gonna be fun playing around with this.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

I guess we don't have to tell you to have a good backup handy first. We've seen several users who fooled around with Geektool and shut themselves out from the operating system. ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's one of the sites I found when I Googled for scripts. I see it's pretty much comparable to Conky. They both do bash and scripts, both have a scripting language (Lua vs Applescript) and both can incorporate graphics.

You have a very interesting definition of fun my friend. I'm normally up for most forms of tinkering but that gives me the hives. lol

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You have a very interesting definition of fun my friend. I'm normally up for most forms of tinkering but that gives me the hives. lol
Include me in cradom's group then. ;)

Now I feel like tinkering around with GeekTool again...

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I figured you were king of that group. Or at least some sort of high placed minion waiting to pull off a coup. lol.

BTW speaking of geekery could you take a peek at this thread and see if you have any ideas? At one point I thought I had it worked out but never quite got things working.

It's mot a major issue now that I am leaving the system on forATV use but I would still like to know how it's done.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And fun? I once spent weeks trying to figure out why I couldn't compile and install some software.

I once spent weeks working on a series of Excel macros I was going to use for work. One night I was in Visual Basic working on, among other things, an if statement that would not behave. I looked at the clock about 11 p.m. and kept working. A few hours later I thought "1:00 a.m. time for bed". It was 4:00 a.m. in the morning.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.