Time Machine now works with AirPort Extreme's AirDisk feature

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5ghz MBP 2gb ram, 200gb 7200rmp hd, 512mb 8600gt
Taken from here and here (Apple)

Who knows why it took so long, but the latest AirPort Extreme firmware update (7.3.1, out today) finally brings Time Machine compatibility to AirDisk. In typical Apple fashion, there's no mention of it on the release notes, but the crew over at TUAW says it's working, and commenters are confirming. We're still holding out for Time Machine to work with any NAS we want, but for now, it looks like all you Airport Extreme owners who felt like you were getting played by the release of Time Capsule are finally in the game -- get those USB drives ready for some hot backup nights.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 c2d 2gb 80gb SD Mac Mini c2d 1.83
This is great stuff! Thanks Apple for fixing the AEBS!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Chrisblaze, thanks so much for the heads up. I was told it was disabled in the beginning due to data corruption issues and would be enabled down the line when Time Capsule. Guess what I read was true.

Reaction score
I've tested this with both my MBP and my iMac and it doesn't appear to work with either after updating both computers.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've tested this with both my MBP and my iMac and it doesn't appear to work with either after updating both computers.

did you formatted you hard drive as HFS+?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.66GHz-4gig 640GB, 15" MBP 2.2GHz i7 Quad, 750 GB, 8gig,16GB iPad2,16GB iPhone 4, AppleTV
I tried it too and I get a "Can not create backup image" error. Do I need to change a setting somewhere?

Reaction score
You need to format the drive as HFS + Journaled with GUID partition table. Anything else probably wont work...

Also, I've heard ppl with the original 100MBit Airport Extreme cannot get it to work...

Mine works fine...

Reaction score
This is typical. I returned my Airport Extreme last week because of this issue and am getting a Time Capsule delivered on Tuesday.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
has anyone tried this with an Airport Express?

Reaction score
i am thinking about time capsule..but then heard about the airport extreme backup capabilities.. sounds like a much better option in case something goes wrong with the time capsule you are out a harddrive and a router. my question is will my old airport express work as a relay station to give me better range if i do get the airport extreme. my airport express is now quite far away and i dont always get hte reception wanted. can the 2 work together?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.