my power book g4 has stoped working

Reaction score
Hello.

My Power-book g4 has broken down :(

I left it for about a year because i got a new laptop.
when i came back to it i plugged the charger in and nothing happened.
And the screen has been broken.But thats ok because i use a extended screen on it.
soo when i plug it in no light shows up.
And when i try to reset the psu the charger light flashes amber for the time im holding the reset button.

Please tell me what to do im stuck and there's loads of stuff i need on the laptop please help me

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Please tell me what to do im stuck and there's loads of stuff i need on the laptop please help me

Hard to say exactly what's wrong...could be any number of things. With that broken screen...I would wonder how that happened...and if maybe something else got damaged in the process.

Two other thoughts:

1. Probably should have copied/transferred the "loads of stuff" a year ago when it was still working.;)
2. You could remove the hard drive...install it in an external housing...then plug it in via USB to your other computer to access the files.

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Hard to say exactly what's wrong...could be any number of things. With that broken screen...I would wonder how that happened...and if maybe something else got damaged in the process.

Two other thoughts:

1. Probably should have copied/transferred the "loads of stuff" a year ago when it was still working.;)
2. You could remove the hard drive...install it in an external housing...then plug it in via USB to your other computer to access the files.

HTH,:)

- Nick
noo it worked after the drop but i had to plug a extra screen in

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and i really need the mac back because i liked to work on it

How about some specific model info? Apple made somewhere around 24 different Powerbook G4 models.

Also...is this Powerbooks battery working or dead?

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
How about some specific model info? Apple made somewhere around 24 different Powerbook G4 models.

Also...is this Powerbooks battery working or dead?

- Nick
i have no idea about the make but when i push the battery button to check the charge nothing happens
is there anyway i could tell what model i have

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have no idea about the make but when i push the battery button to check the charge nothing happens
is there anyway i could tell what model i have

If the battery worked a year ago...since you haven't used this laptop for around a year...your battery probably lost all charge a long time ago (usually around 6 months of non-use). Then letting the battery sit dead for another 6 months probably killed it completely (up to a $129 mistake)!

As far as the specific model...there should be a label somewhere. If you can't find a label on the outside somewhere...maybe inside the battery bay (remove the battery).

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
If the battery worked a year ago...since you haven't used this laptop for around a year...your battery probably lost all charge a long time ago (usually around 6 months of non-use). Then letting the battery sit dead for another 6 months probably killed it completely (up to a $129 mistake)!

As far as the specific model...there should be a label somewhere. If you can't find a label on the outside somewhere...maybe inside the battery bay (remove the battery).

- Nick
but wouldn't the mac be able to run with out a battery with the charger plugged in?
and the battery bay just says power book g4 and theirs a bar code

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but wouldn't the mac be able to run with out a battery with the charger plugged in?
and the battery bay just says power book g4 and theirs a bar code

Some Powerbook G4's had a PRAM battery. If your Powerbook G4 has one...and it's dead...it could be causing problems. But we cannot tell...unless we get some specific model info.

If this Powerbook G4 was working a year ago...and nothing has happened to it since...the only thing that could happen to it to cause it not to work are the various batteries I've mentioned going dead.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Some Powerbook G4's had a PRAM battery. If your Powerbook G4 has one...and it's dead...it could be causing problems. But we cannot tell...unless we get some specific model info.

If this Powerbook G4 was working a year ago...and nothing has happened to it since...the only thing that could happen to it to cause it not to work are the various batteries I've mentioned going dead.

- Nick

i think i have a PowerBook G4 (Gigabit Ethernet)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i think i have a PowerBook G4 (Gigabit Ethernet)

I think that what it comes down to is...if the computer & the power supply (wall adapter) were working fine a year ago...then they should still work now.

What could be different from today & a year ago is the batteries being dead (laptop battery & possibly a PRAM battery). Logically if we can fix what has changed since a year ago (dead batteries)...then the laptop should work fine.

Just to be sure...are you saying absolutely nothing happens when you try to start up this computer? No start-up sound...no hard drive spinning?

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
I think that what it comes down to is...if the computer & the power supply (wall adapter) were working fine a year ago...then they should still work now.

What could be different from today & a year ago is the batteries being dead (laptop battery & possibly a PRAM battery). Logically if we can fix what has changed since a year ago (dead batteries)...then the laptop should work fine.

Just to be sure...are you saying absolutely nothing happens when you try to start up this computer? No start-up sound...no hard drive spinning?

Thanks,

- Nick

yes there is noo sound or noise coming from the mac when i start it up and it dont turn on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.