Duplicate C:\Programme Files after Vista Install on bootcamp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), Quad Core, 32gb RAM, 4.0KHz, OS X 10.10.5
Hi...,

I've just invested in a MacBook Pro 17", OS X 10.5.1, Dual Core, 4GB RAM, 7.200rpm for use with Logic Studio and Pro Tools. Happy chappy.

A year ago I had a brain relapse and shelled out an abusive amount of cash on a Vista Home Premium upgrade (32bits) to install in a Presario 2500. Dumb really, the Presario was just about limping along with 512Mb RAM (now relegated to external HD).

Yesterday I had another attack, and when I regained consciousness, I found that I had implemented bootcamp and dedicated 32GB to XPSP2 (slipstreamed). Upgrade licence keys are blocked for clean installs, so I followed Paul Thurrock's "get around it" idiot guide on how to clean install Vista using upgrade media, super-glue and some sticky-back plastic: linked here. This required first installing vista as a trial (no licence key), and then installing it again from within Vista itself (plus licence key).

Result: It works. Just great. Couldn't be happier... "Yippee" ...It's just that... I now have two C\Programme Folders! Just in case I lose the other one?!? Nah...Don't think so. ... Help? Please? *Cough* Pretty please? O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
That's a Windows problem, dude, this is a Mac forum. Sounds like you've been circumventing the law a little too, with that upgrade thing.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mmm.

Hey woah there boy ;-) If Mac wasnt trying to break down the snob barier, I'm sure it wouldn't have bothered utting bootcamp onboard. Now, if theysorted out there problems with Pro Tools I wouldn't even consider sharing my HD with gates. But hey **...! I'm sure I'll find an answer through trial and error. ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Hey woah there boy ;-) If Mac wasnt trying to break down the snob barier, I'm sure it wouldn't have bothered utting bootcamp onboard. Now, if theysorted out there problems with Pro Tools I wouldn't even consider sharing my HD with gates. But hey **...! I'm sure I'll find an answer through trial and error. ;-)

I have no idea what any of that means, but good luck with your problem.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If anyone out there can offer some serious and constructive advice, I'd be most appreciative. One presumes that teh idea behind Bootcamp is precisely to help one to run two distinct operating systems on the same console. Therefore, it is a little to simply say that it is a Windows problem.

In short, and with all the best will in the world:

a) Is it normal to have two "C:\Programme Files" folders after installing Vista via Bootcamp?

b) If not, is there a safe way of eliminating one of them or merging the two together; if indeed that is the solution.

I have since reinstalled Vista, this time a clean install ontop of SP2, after reclaiming the partition.

Thanks in advance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.