HELP - Need a DVD drive urgently!

Reaction score
I've got the early 24" intel iMac (white one) and the disc drive has packed up. The model is a DVR-K06, but everywhere seems not to stock it anymore. It's been discontinued... :(

Does anyone know where I can get hold of one (I'm in the UK), or if there is a new model that is compatible?

Your help would be very much appreciated...

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Thanks, but it appears they are in the US. I was after a UK retailer.

Pioneer brand - look here to see if there's something Pioneer UK: PC & Pro: Blu-ray Writers and Drives, DVD/CD Writers and Drivers, Pro DVD Player, KURO Projector, TAD Speakers - Pioneer - PC & Pro The KO5 was a very popular (but discontinued) drive, maybe you can find a second-hand one.

I would suggest that you go external rather than open up your iMac. Slimline optical drives are not exactly numerous unless you get one made for a laptop. You needn't buy an enclosure, meantime anyway, but you will need an adaptor (see att). A firewire connection will give you faster i/o, but not a lot.

View attachment Adaptor.pdf

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I second the external drive recommendation.

The white intel iMacs are apparently a pain to open up and the external drive will probably be faster anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Agree and further the full size external unit will not only be faster but should, in theory, last longer also. Recommend Pioneer DL burners.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I've heard they are tricky to open too. One question about going down the external drive option, would I have a problem starting up off a disc, should something go horribly wrong one day..?

Also is it a problem that there is a disc stuck in my internal drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
would I have a problem starting up off a disc, should something go horribly wrong one day..?
Also is it a problem that there is a disc stuck in my internal drive?

Q1. No problem, you'll have either the Firewire (better) or USB2 boot option. For f/w though you'll need an external enclosure - and be sure to get one with an Oxford chipset if you possibly can.
Q2. Umm, yes, sort-of. Every time you boot your iMac, it'll try to get the KO6 going again. Incidentally, could it be that the drive is in fact not broken, but that the stuck disk is causing the problem? If you feel confident about opening up your iMac to get at the optical drive, let us know and we can refer you to several links that'll help you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
For discs stuck in optical drives, I always recommend the "thin object with double-sided sticky tape" method.

Reaction score
Why go external?

Hi Everyone

I'd just pipe in and say why go external? You can get really good deals in the UK on internal drives. When my old 17inch Imac's DVD drive went it was pretty straightforward to replace.

I put in the same model as currently used in the latest 24inch aluminum Imacs and found the performance to be great.

I guess for me the overall aesthetic is important. But i considered a external drive myself but wanted to avoid unnecessary desk clutter. The 24inch machines are also the easiest in terms of internal space so it's easy to get straight onto the drive to replace.

if you're interested let me know and I could recommend a supplier/even do the work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Smartz - yes, please do post your source of internal optical drives for an Intel iMac. There are forum users out there who are keen to use internal rather than external for the same sorts of reasons you mention.

For example, the Pioneer KO6 is no longer in production, the KO8 is largely unavailable, and there is uncertainty about it being tray or slot load (different sites are unclear) anyway. Sony and Matshita will be cashing in on that, and good luck to them, but if pressed I would almost inevitably recommend Pioneer.
[Goes away muttering, to put his brand new Pioneer 115D in a LaCie firewire enclosure.]

OP
T
Reaction score
Right I've gone ahead and purchased a External DVD±R, My problem at the moment is the internal drive is making an irritating noise continuously... every 2/3 seconds it tries to read the disc.

Is there any way I can turn off the drive, with physically unplugging it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the internal drive is making an irritating noise continuously... every 2/3 seconds it tries to read the disc. Is there any way I can turn off the drive, with physically unplugging it?

Yes, but you're going to have to open up your iMac to do so. You know where it's located, you have to separate the two sections of your iMac casing to get at it. Here's a helpful link Intel imac core duo 20 inch

There are also videos on YouTube, eg. YouTube - iMac Disassembly Part 1

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.