Best option to consider with SUD nearly full?

Reaction score
I got the message a few weeks ago that I should deep six some files to make more room on the start up disc (SUD) / hard disc.

Here is what I am working with:

2.53Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4Gb 1067Mhz DDR3
320 Gb of storage. As of a minute ago, I have 10.5Gb available.

Now, I also have a 2 TB Time capsule and its all back up. Also, I have a 2nd external drive that I back up the Time capsule to every quarter.

I was initially thinking of getting an external hard drive and just moving all our photos there, and then deleting the stuff on the start up disc.

a-is that the best/safest move? And if so, should I consider those solid state drives?
sounds easy and safe.

b-Or do I take out the current start up disc and replace it with a larger hard drive? And keep the current hard disc as another back up? If so, how hard is it to keep/transfer the needed start up files from the old drive to the new?

c-A friend of mine familiar with Mac suggested none of the above and instead mentioned something about NAS. I really couldn't hear him as it was a bad connection.

Looking for the safest but simplest bet. Please advise.

ANd thanks! THis is my first post, hope to learn a lot here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It all comes down to whether you need all the data on your Mac all the time - e.g. if you're mobile a lot.

If you're mainly at home then a NAS drive (hard disk connected directly to your router) is a great choice. Accessible from any device connected to the network, often accessible securely over the internet and often with extra features.

If you need to go mobile with all your data a new, bigger disk swapped out, old one put in a USB enclosure, migration wizerd to copy your data back. Job done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Everyone's needs are different. I have about 600 GB of photos so there is no way on earth they will be on my 500 GB HDD in my MB Pro. I have them on an external HDD backed up to another as well. That works for me.

OP
D
Reaction score
I
If you're mainly at home then a NAS drive (hard disk connected directly to your router) is a great choice. Accessible from any device connected to the network, often accessible securely over the internet and often with extra features.

The macbook is ALWAYS at home and so NAS seems like the way to go! So is NAS just as simply a getting a hard drive and backing it up to the Time Capsule? Or more specifically, moving much of our videos and photos over to that drive and thereby keeping them off the macbook?

Everyone's needs are different. I have about 600 GB of photos so there is no way on earth they will be on my 500 GB HDD in my MB Pro. I have them on an external HDD backed up to another as well. That works for me.

Considering how quick we went through 320 Bg before Iphones, I know exactly what you mean. So I think 2-3 TB of space may be the place to start.

Lastly, is a solid state hard drive a good option?\

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.