Can't quite get Mail working right

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
UPDATE: 3/8/07

I spent prob 30+ min on the phone with apple today and they figured this out. I had to completely deleted all my mail accounts (they were able to save my messages) and reinstall the preferences in Mail. This was pretty complicated, I could never explain it or replicate it! But it worked. I then had to go back to Gmail and redo my pop settings there. But now I can send and received mail on both accounts in Mail. Horray. They had me do prob 5 or more things before they hit on the right fix. It definitely was a pain. But I'm psyched it works RIGHT now!

First I set up Mail to get my email from my ISP (Charter) and it works fine. Then I tried to add my gmail account (and accidentally overwrote all my Charter settings - PIA!)

So I can now see both the Gmail and Charter accounts in my inbox. But nothing's going in or out of the Gmail account. I used the set up info that Google has and changed my account settings to "enable pop" and saved it. I haven't gotten any error messages, just nothing happening....

Oh, and I have a decrepit Microsoft Outlook account that I've had forever. It's from an old job, they let me keep it open. I think it's express - that stripped down version that has just about NO useful features at all. How do I get that in Mail?

Any ideas?

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now it won't use the ISP server...

It won't take the ISP server info, but will let me send thru the Gmail server. I swear it switched and I didn't even do anything. But that's not possible.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know I'm having a conversation with myself at this point, but...I used the Connection Doctor and this is the window with the results (attached). Maybe the port # is wrong? Should I call my ISP to find that out?

Picture 2.png

M

MacHeadCase

I'm such a dimwit when it comes to networking, connections and ISPs. I myself would definitely call my ISP and ask them what's up and how to configure this darn thing.

We dumped our Sympatico ISP because they kept finding ways of not supporting our connection: sorry, we don't support Macs or you're behind a router? Gee, sorry we don't support routers.

We got fed up and signed with Vidéotron instead. They came and configured/installed it for us and they specify to never hesitate to call if ever there is a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Bell is a terrible company, from sympatico, to ExpressVu. They said my Mac's airport signal was doing something to to my satellite signal

M

MacHeadCase

Yeah that's exactly the type of answers they give. Meh. We were glad to ditch them.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We dumped our Sympatico ISP because they kept finding ways of not supporting our connection: sorry, we don't support Macs or you're behind a router? Gee, sorry we don't support routers.

We got fed up and signed with Vidéotron instead. They came and configured/installed it for us and they specify to never hesitate to call if ever there is a problem.

Okay, I'll prob be sorry I asked, but what's Sympatico? An ISP in your area? I haven't heard of them...

And Videotron is...what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
TELUS always treats me well when it comes to my mobility, or my home phone, or Internet

M

MacHeadCase

Okay, I'll prob be sorry I asked, but what's Sympatico? An ISP in your area? I haven't heard of them...

And Videotron is...what?

They are both ISPs I have in my home town, Montreal. Sympatico is the ISP service from Bell, the telephone company. Vidéotron is a cable company.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bump so update shows up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.