What's a good/compatible Internal Hard Drive.

Reaction score
What's a good/compatible Internal Hard Drive for Mac Pro. I don't want to get one from Apple because I think they're overpriced. Looking for 500GB - 750GB.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Anything that's SATA 3 Gb/s. I would recommend a Seagate. They are reliable, and have a 5 year warranty, which is better than most hard drives have. They aren't the cheapest option, but are comparably priced with the competition. If you look at what you have now, it's probably a Western Digital, which to me is disappointing...

OP
TwistyO
Reaction score
I have a WD External which does well, but the Seagate seems to get great reviews although people say they run hot.

Are there any options for cooling in a Mac Pro???

Thank you

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a WD External which does well, but the Seagate seems to get great reviews although people say they run hot.

Are there any options for cooling in a Mac Pro???

Thank you

I can't say that any of my Seagate drives run any warmer or cooler than any other brand of drive that I own (including WD, Maxtor and Hitachi). Either way, I'd say don't worry about adding on any additional cooling, the Mac Pro was designed to accommodate many hard drives and there is adequate cooling built into the design.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Apple don't make the hard drives themselves. The original 'Apple' disk will probably be a Western Digital anyway (system profiler will tell you).

Otherwise, advice as above. I have 2 WDCs and 2 Seagates in mine. All work perfectly well, so far.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.